2010 Home and Flower Show

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by JRSlawn, Jan 25, 2010.

1. JRSlawn

JRSlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I know there are a hundred thread on previous home and flower shows but I figured I would start a new one and bring it to the top. Who all is going to be doing their local home show? I am going to do it this year I was going to stay out of it but with the tough time I am going to step out on the edge and do a 30x35 feb-26-28th in akron it will be my first year doing a feature I am really hoping it turns some good leads. Anyone have any pictures of the shows they have done?

2. JRSlawn

This is what I am going up against. This guy does some really cool stuff!

outdoor kitchen setup 2009.JPG

concrete waterfall at 2009 home garden show.JPG

3. wurkn with amish

wurkn with amish LawnSite Senior Member

My opinion for what its worth...

I've been reading some of your posts regarding home and garden boothes. You seem to be lost in what to display. So how you going to design a project of that caliber to a potential client? Come on lawnsite and ask your buddies to help on this paver project and what else can I put in there? If your going to step up and do a feature bring your "A" game or dont bother, clients will see right thru ya.
    That guys does awesome work, you should check out his store at the Mall.

4. JRSlawn

My design is done, submitted and approved. Thats what this site is for to ask questions and get ideas right? Maybe I am on the wrong site but I thought this place was good to bounce ideas off of fellow landscapers I must be wrong or maybe you are wrong for not thinking before you posted?

5. wurkn with amish

Wow! good for you on all that. If everything is approved why do you need the awesomeness of lawnsite to bounce ideas? Your design is done runn with it.
    How do you get a premier space over people that had boothes last year and you didn't?
    I don't have a booth, so be glad your not going against me lol.... I'm just curious?????

6. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Do you have more pictures of that bar? Whats the name of the company that did that?

7. dclandscape

dclandscape LawnSite Member

How do you hold your pavers in place????? I have a 10x10 corner booth and was wondering what keeps the pavers from creeping out when people walk al over them??

8. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

1) Are you at this guy's caliber or work?

2) Do you have any / much experience of doing work in his price level?

Respectfully, if you answered no to either of the questions above - then just exhibit what your niche allows.

Whats your market like? Is there a strong demand for $30k(+) jobs in your market??

If the answer is no - then you wanna exhibit what the market can bear.

There's a contractor in our area that did a radio ad campaign last year. Here, we all are in our area affected by the recession, and this clown is advertising for these expensive, elaborate, outdoor living spaces (LOL). Backyards with TV's, Pizza Ovens, etc., etc. FOOLISH FOOLISH FOOLISH WASTE OF MONEY (on the advertising). What he should have done is focused his radio ads on patios in the $5k to $10k price range. Gotta roll with the changes.

Only you know your market. Gear your exhibit to what your market can currently bear. If things are tough for your local economy - then that guy can have at his $30k display.

If your neck of the woods is full of *old money* then you my wanna do a display as depicted.

9. wurkn with amish

DVS I will answer for him cause I work in his area sometimes....
    Yes there are still 30k jobs going on, alot of them??? Not really. The work in the pictures is done by a respected company, but I would say even they aren't pumping out jobs of this caliber every week. I agree finaly with your statements about sticking to the people's ranges that are "now" selling.
    @ Todd
    The company who featured the bar is called KLiens Landscaping, I doubt they themselves built the top. I've located a company that probably built the top, cause they have a couple in their show room...

10. JRSlawn

Listen guys I am going to get into a pissing match with you on this one. I was selected to do the show thats how this process works. I have worked with the show in the past on a smaller scale in the past 10x10 and it worked ok probably closed on 10-15 jobs by going out and doing a good job on the work I got from the show I am able to do a feature. Just because my design is done doesn't mean I can't add things too it I am really wanting to add a water feature somewhere within the booth but I am not going to just do something you see at every show I am looking for something cool. As far as the 30k jobs goes have we sold a few of them yes, do I get calls for them all the time no. Our market is ok but its not booming by no means. I looked at a job last year in the 120k range but after going over the cost with the customer he decieded to hold off till this year so hopefully I will have a crack at it. Its not a job that I can just through something together for on cad I am having a landscape architect do the design but I am sure others will quote it off of the design. The show is on the 26th of feb I will def post some pics of our display I am looking for ideas here I am really not looking to be put down or to be questioned on my experience. My work speaks for it self.