2010 Leaf Box construction

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by CTmower, Oct 3, 2010.

1. AustinLawnscape

AustinLawnscape LawnSite Member

Your set up looks great! I'm considering moving mine to the front of the truck. Question, the loader mounted in the side view picture above, appears to be mounted higher than the receiver hitch mount pictured earlier in the thread? Did you use a different mount for the loader? - Thanks - Ed

2. CTmower

CTmower LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

The mount is located between the two tow hooks. I guess it just looks higher with the loader mounted on it. Two things I'll be changing for next year will be removing the barn door style doors and replacing them with a solid rear door with the hinges mounted on the top. The angle of the dump and weight of the leaves will open it automatically when dumping. The barn door style bulged out way too far for my liking and made it difficullt to open at times. Second change will be a larger exhaust pipe. Currently I'm running a 6" pipe coming from the end of the loader and I've found it clogged far too much. The exhaust on the Billy goat is 7" so I think using a smaller 6" exhaust pipe is causing the clogging. I'll be using a larger 8" pipe next year. Other then those two things I have no complaints and really like the front end setup. Now I just need to decide whether to keep the box on all winter long and use this setup in the spring or break it down and only use it for the fall.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

CT, First let me say awesome set up! 2nd, you might want to switch to a solid piece of PVC, not just up the size from 6" to 8". What you have now is as you said drainage pipe, the "ribs" are what's causing your clogging issues. With a regular piece of PVC you won't have anything for the debris to catch on.

4. CTmower

CTmower LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

The pipe is actually smooth on the inside. I had the choice between the rough as u stated and smooth. It's definitely the smaller diameter causing the problem.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Ah, OK, my mistake I thought by the look of it it was ribbed on the inside as well. Then upping the diameter of the pipe will be a huge improvement for you.

6. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

i mounted my 16HP giant vac on the front this year and it worked a lot better because i was able to tow my trailer as well

7. newjerseylandscaping

newjerseylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

like it, are you putting doors on the upper back?

8. mowing4cash

mowing4cash LawnSite Member
    from us

I know this is old but do you leave the hose on while driving?
    Posted via Mobile Device