2011 F250/350 Average MPG

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by burnsyscapes, Jun 2, 2011.

1. burnsyscapes

burnsyscapes LawnSite Member

okay so looking to buy a New truck here soon. currently have a 07 Chevy 2500 and cant afford 7-8 mpg any more for a gas truck. especially when im pulling an average of 3500 lbs per day.

wondering what the average is on fords new 2011 diesel or just get a used diesel.

i understand it will be a better truck but looking at the finances part.

any input would be great! no negative though.

2. pflasch

pflasch LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

Check out Ford's SuperDuty site. There are several videos showing the F250 / 350 against the competition... with actual test miles given! You might be very surprised!

http://www.ford.com/2011superduty/

3. Raymond S.

Raymond S. LawnSite Senior Member

My F350 6.2 gas averages about 10 in town pulling a 20' trailer w/ 2 ZTR mowers, blowers, trimmers, etc. Friend's 6.7 diesel got about 16 pulling an aluminum snowmobile trailer (open) w/ 4 sleds up North. That's all I have for comparison. You may give the 6.2 gas some thought. You're going to have to drive a long way to pay for the $10k difference in price. Just a thought.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Raymond S.

Raymond S. LawnSite Senior Member

Also I got the same 10 mpg pulling a bobcat home on the same 20' trailer from Wisconsin averaging 70 mph. The 6.2 ROCKED with power. These new gas engines don't even compare to Chevy's 6.0 and sure as hell not to the 5.4 of Ford
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You're missing the forest for the trees, that diesel will make up the fuel
    mileage savings in the cost of the maintenance and you won't save a dime.

6. DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

2010 f350 diesel we are averaging 12.2 mpg not impressed. Our 99 f250. Diesel averages 14.5
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Weekendwrench

Weekendwrench LawnSite Member
    from NY

Same hear 10 MPG average. That’s all in town with a ton of starting and stopping while towing. If you snow plow it will be about 5 to 7 MPG. It was almost easier to figure gallons per hour while plowing. Buddy with the new diesel gets 14 to 16 MPG. I personally can’t justify the price of a diesel. The new 6.2 has lots of power compared to the old 5.4

8. burnsyscapes

burnsyscapes LawnSite Member

i know it might not justify it self, but im paying 420 a month on car payment and 500-650 month on gas. if i could double the mpg from 7 to 14 it would save alot. plus itd be a new diesel, instead of a 07 with 75000 miles on it. save maybe up to 200 buks a month would deffinatly help.

9. gibbonsballer10

gibbonsballer10 LawnSite Senior Member

buy a 2001 or 2002 ford 7.3 diesel. There the best diesel engines ever built for fuel economy and reliability.

10. JDiepstra

JDiepstra LawnSite Bronze Member

What maintenance costs are you talking about? An oil change every 20,000 miles and a $7 fuel filter every 10,000? Yeah wow that really adds up.... pfffft.