2011 Scag Turf Tiger Dual Fuel Only 34 Hours

Discussion in 'Marketplace' started by Ecotech, Dec 11, 2012.

1. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

OK, say a regular engine that runs on gas will have a useful life of 3,000 hours ... if the same engine runs on propane, how many hours will it last ??

2. CRE1992

CRE1992 LawnSite Member

Im heading down to Daytona, Florida the day after Christmas towing a 7x16 enclosed trailer with room in it. Lol

:dancing:

3. Ecotech

Ecotech LawnSite Member

When I was purchasing, I didn't see any actual hour counts, but did see up to 40% higher. The reason they say the engines last longer is how propane burns compared to gasoline and the reduction in emmisions. I know it is much easier on the carb and doesn't require adjustment. My own experience trying both out since it is dual fuel, propane starts first try with no choke under propane, gas requires choke till it starts to fire, then no choke and it starts.

4. Ecotech

Ecotech LawnSite Member

New Price $10,500

Financed through Sheffield if interested in a transfer

5. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Well, that sounds like it may be worth it, a gas engine is usually rated for approximately 3,000 hours ... so if you use propane that would equate to about 4,200 hours !!

6. Green-Man

Green-Man LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow that's really good especially for a gas engine. That is ALOT of hours!
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Green-Man

Just curious where would you go to fill up the propane tanks? Also how much Is it to fill them up and how many hours can you run on them? THANKS in advance!
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Ecotech

Ecotech LawnSite Member

I was trying to find specific engine life for the Kubota 3 cylinder engine and see over 5000 hours in many applications before any major overhaul would be needed. I saw people claiming the same engine in a generator has seen over 25k hours, but that is a different kind of load compared to a mower. The engine itself is based on the diesel engine so it is definitely built to last.

The mower has twin 7.9 gallon propane tanks and right now propane is around $2.00 a gallon from one of our local companies, so its usually around $35 or there about. Since they are the same tanks as forklifts you can usually find an exchange where they will even deliver the tanks, or you can do what I do and just bring the tanks and have them filled. They only take a minute or two per tank. On full tanks I can usually run around 8 - 9 hours before filling.

I have heard on people working with the propane companies where they will install a filling station at your home or company which lowers the fill costs even more.

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

5.5 hrs on a tank with the big Briggs. Many dealers are handling propane but there are people who will deliver. I have 4 tanks and that is enough for one week then i go get propane.

10. Green-Man

Woow that is pretty awesome that makes me a little more interested in propane now. Even though it would be a long while before I ever get to use one. Do you feel the mower more weighted down with them in? Or like do they get in the way? Really hope this sells for u soon man!
    Posted via Mobile Device