2011 will be the roughest year for most of us and I explain why

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by soloscaperman, Jan 29, 2011.

1. soloscaperman

soloscaperman LawnSite Gold Member

With the amounts of snow I already have a few customers that are scared about not just missing work and losing but speding the money for me to plow, walkways and roofs. With gas prices going slowly up customers will not have that "extra money" for mulch jobs, and other side work. I was right about the snow and I have a strong feeling it's going to be a tight wallet for most customers for the new year. CT is in a snow strom stream and we will keep getting more. We have beatin all snow records and it's only Jan.

The new smucks that are getting into snow plowing and doing it cheap will now have money for mowers and charge cheap.

2. freshcut419

freshcut419 LawnSite Member

Not much snow here in south east Michigan, does that mean I'll have a good mowing season because there have saved money on snow plowing and can remulch there beds this summer? I sure hope so.

3. unit28

unit28 LawnSite Bronze Member

well,
    the lowball man is gonna have to get his gas at the same place right?
    I think we got him right were we want him.

4. Lurch01

Lurch01 LawnSite Member

Brother, you have some decent points, But don't focus on that. I say people will be busy working more than ever and will not have time to cut the lawns, and when they are free they must spend it with family.:weightlifter: I see it totally different. We create our own reality.

5. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Decide if you can bid for what you want or have to bid to keep work.
    I don't care what anyone says, that's how it's done.
    btw-You probably will have a challenging year based on your expectations.
    Don't focus on so much negativity.
    Remember, someone always makes money on wall street despite which way the market goes.

6. soloscaperman

soloscaperman LawnSite Gold Member

Most of you don't know but some customers have there own budget for the year for services. I made so much money already snow plowing that it makes my fall cleanups look like a joke. I have seen some rich neighbors where I work that fired the plowman and have there whole family shovel because it's snowing every 5 days!!

7. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

someone will come up with a doom & gloom thread for every single circumstance. Ive heard it all now.

8. zturncutter

zturncutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Exactly, don't make excuses for failure, make excuses for success. :weightlifter:

9. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I think this year will be pretty good. I had a good year last year and I expect this year to be about the same, hopefully better.

Just because wealthy people are starting to shovel their own driveway, doesn't mean that things are going to get rough. You have to remember that people don't get rich by spending their money.

10. JayD

JayD LawnSite Silver Member

Well, I know around here with the big drought we had, they saved a lot of money because I did'nt make it when the grass was not growing.....I'm glad to see the snow heavy this year, that puts more water into the ground.