2011 year end results?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DanaMac, Jan 12, 2012.

1. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

So how was your 2011 overall? Good, bad, ugly, stagnant, phenomenal? And WHY?
    Our sales were down 3.5%, which I attribute to a few things.
    Knee surgery kept me out of the field for two months mid-summer
    Largest customer, landscape company, decided to do most service work including blow outs in-house this year instead of contracting to us
    We did zero advertising
    We turned down working with the city parks department which we had done the year before
    So overall, gross sales numbers were down a bit, but not bad for all the above reasons. Fuel cost was up 41% for us, but that was the only major change in other expenses. Insurance and workers comp was down since we did not work for the city parks.
    So I would say it was stagnant or very even, compared to 2010 for us. I'm looking to grow a bit this year though.

I do see more homes being built in my area again. Just down the road from me there is a development that was put on hold about 3-4 years ago. They now have 18 homes being built at the same time. New car registrations are up significantly for our county. Are things rebounding? We'll see.

2. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

In the commercial/industrial landscape world, which is about all I know these days, I think things were stagnant, flat, unwavering and dull.

A few bright spots on the horizon though as interest and actions picked up towards the end of the year:
    Many customers felt the pain from the sting of low-priced, low-service/low-quality companies and realize now that you get what you pay for.
    Efficiency and water-savings initiatives on the irrigation side of things are on the rise. A few major customers have heard what current technology can do as prices drop on hardware and some projects are already in the works.

For me personally, my executive level had a shake-up (some for the better) as we were purchased by a major (Fortune 500) company and the inevitable changes took place. I very much enjoy my position but miss running a small business. Thoughts on the next move have been discussed; Flagstaff or Colorado are likely in the five-year plan.

3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Here is the thing with me - I could have expanded every single year, and just never really had the ambition to do it. I'm at a place now where I think I can and want to.
    Low snow pack here might once again mean harsh water restrictions, meaning people will need to get the most out of their system during their allotted days. Good chance for up-selling again. I just need to find the right people to bring on board.

4. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

You've always loved Flag. Lodge in Glendale on the 16th or 18th? My turn to buy.

5. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

I had a good year irrigation was up 30% I did some HVAC jobs in the fall and winter which I don't count in the 30%. I think it is due to the local economy improving, my name getting around more, and me having a better billing system.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Stuttering Stan

Stuttering Stan LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm still rolling coins. Will have the final tally soon.

7. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

I did better last year due to old customers dying and the new homeowners upgrading.

8. I caught a 20" trout.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

and I killed a 12 point buck. :confused:

So what, I did that when I was 15 years old and many other things. Happiness with my family only matters now.

10. :::::backs out of humorless thread::::::
    Posted via Mobile Device