2012 F-550 or Ram 5500?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by ClassicLawnCareInc, Sep 17, 2012.

1. ClassicLawnCareInc

ClassicLawnCareInc LawnSite Senior Member

Im looking at getting a new truck.

Either truck would be a 4 door, 4x4 diesel, 19500 gvw with a 12ft landscape dump.

Ram 5500 or Ford F-550

Both trucks are the same everything and options.

I don't know which on to go with.

any info on either?

I currently have a 2010 Ford F-450 same setup as these trucks.

2. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

2010 is tired out all ready?

3. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Ram 5500. I love my 11' 3500. Hope to add a 4500 or 5500 flatbed for next season.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

subscribed as well. I am in the same boat. I am a GM man but they dont offer so I gotta ask the question too.

5. ClassicLawnCareInc

Nah my 450 isnt tired out already but there are a few reasons im looking to trade. I need to spend some money for taxes, also the warranty is about to go up on my truck.

I really dont trust the 6.4 engine. I already have gotten rid of 2 6.4's b/c of engine problems at low miles (under 36k).

I really dont trust the 6.7 diesel in the ford either lol, but the local dealers are Ford. I dont have a certified dealer that can sell or service the ram close to be. The closest Ram dealer is over an hour away.

If it weren't for the distance itd be a Ram hands down.

6. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

well thats a good reason. With the ford theres a pretty good chance youll be in the same boat u are now with motor stuff. cummins is good but with diesels today, you never know when it needs a dealer computer or array of other things. you could get a ford v10

7. Marek

Marek LawnSite Bronze Member

How do you like your 11 dodge compared to the Ford you traded for it ?

8. ClassicLawnCareInc

I love it, I actually traded 2 Fords in for Rams. Ive now got the 11 2500 and the 12 3500 srw. I love them. Ive got about 9k on each and havent had any problems at all. I love the 800 lb ft Tq. I like that theyve had this setup going since 2007 and they havent changed to much, were as Ford has chaged there stuff up what 3 different times since 07?

9. grassman88

grassman88 LawnSite Member
    from mass

i would go with the ram but ive heard good and bad about both trucks what about a chevy 4500 with duramax ive only heard good things about them some day i will have one i hope lol

10. ClippersLC

ClippersLC LawnSite Member

I have a 2011 Cummins. I have put 26,500 on it in 14 months time. Even with your Dodge dealer being an Hour away think about how often you need service honestly. Once a month if that? plus you have other trucks to fall back on if it needs service. I look at what the Motor can do, thats why I wet with Dodge, Cummins sells itself on its reputation, plus i like the horsepower andtorque it put out stock before i did a few upgrades. Ive had good and bad in several trucks (dodge, chevy, GMC, ford) so i say its a matter of personal prefference. but if it were me then... well look at what i have :waving: