2012 super z engine options

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pvbooner, Jan 26, 2012.

1. pvbooner

pvbooner LawnSite Member
    from indiana

Has anyone heard what engines hustler is going to offer for the 2012 Super z. Was just wondering because I am still trying to settle on a new mower and will need to be deciding pretty soon. I pretty much have it narrowed down to a Z or a Scag after 12 years of running choppers.

2. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

3. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

yikes. i would suggest going with the 31hp kawi on a 60" if you get a super z. the 37hp is gonna drink the gas pretty bad. personally i would choose the scag cheetah 61" with 31hp kawi engine. good luck with your choice!

4. pvbooner

pvbooner LawnSite Member
    from indiana

I have to have 72" for the amount of open area mowing that I do. I don't know if the web site has been changed you to reflect this years models yet and was hoping that somone on here may have had some more up to date info.

5. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

ok perhaps the 34hp 72" scag cheetah then? it will do better on gas than the 37hp engine. IMO anything over 35hp you might as well buy a diesel engine and get better fuel economy.

6. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

That link was for 2012 models. There's another member here (Mickhippy) that just bought a 2012 SZ with the 37, because the only choices were 31, or 37 HP. He has only had it a week or so, so he probably doesn't have very many hours on it yet, especially since he said the other day it has been raining down there in AUS where he is.

I know a 37 will drink fuel, but the new SZ with their 20 cc pumps, will take a lot more HP to run them efficiently, and is why he went with the 37 over the 31, especially for the hills he mows.

7. torotorotoro

torotorotoro LawnSite Senior Member

i know the manuel says the 31 and 37 have the same ground speed but i have found that my 34 kal is way faster then my 29 kal. both on new g3 toros. has any one else found this. if i could get more ground speed i would put up with the worse gas.

8. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Havent picked it up yet. Had 2 major rain events with flooding, road closures etc. Im hoping Monday but its way to wet to mow anything anyway.

9. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

My bad I guess. I thought last week that you had said that you had picked it up the day that you posted and I asked for a few vids.

10. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

It was supposed to turn up at the dealers that day but didnt, the next day it pizzed down with rain closing a lot of roads so no delivery. Thursday was a public holiday and more flooding Friday.
    The weather here has been insane. Had at least 500mm of rain at my place this week. Neighbours house across the road almost flooded, several other friends had water through there homes, a tree came down out the front of my house only 20m away from where I was standing (I saw it fall) blocking the road, schools closed, many, many car accidents etc. Its been chaos. I really cant blame anyone for the machine not turning up.

Its now looking like Monday for pick up. Im expecting showers pretty much all next week as well so wont be any mowing happening.

A few pics from Wednesday....
    http://photobucket.com/mowing