2012 Toro Walk Behind T-bar belt drive will not pull sulky

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by grassbutler, Oct 17, 2012.

1. grassbutler

grassbutler LawnSite Member

I have a 2011 36" Turbo Force W/B and it will not pull my sulky. My 1996 Pro-Line 44" pulls it and does wheelies starting off in 4th gear. My 36 barely goes 10 feet before it stops moving on the slightest incline. If I start off in 4th or 5th on pavement it is slow "out of the hole".. I am quite sure I have messed up the adjustments.. The only way I can get it to move is to move the tension rod adjusters all the way to the end of the T-Bar rod. Any Suggestions would be great!

2. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Tighten the engine to transmission belt.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. macgyver_GA

macgyver_GA LawnSite Senior Member

This ^^^

Make sure the tensioner is working properly and putting enough tension on the belt.

4. grassbutler

I checked the tension on the Eng to tranny belt and its tight.. My gut tells me its the t-bar rods.. but I have gone with so many different combinations... Unit has less than 50 hours on it.

5. macgyver_GA

macgyver_GA LawnSite Senior Member

Are the drive pulleys spinning in the belts? Maybe pull the cover plates off and have someone look at the pulleys while you move forward...preferably on a hill where there's more resistance.

6. grassbutler

I just retightened tension on the eng to tranny belt.. On second look I didn't like it.. Not tight enough for me... I will readjust the parking brake then the tension rods tommarrow.. I am using the 44" Toro as my small mower tommarrow.

7. grassbutler

No the pulleys don't move... It just goes to a complete stop.. I can take a foot off of the sulky and push like a skateboard to get it going...momentum on flat and down hill are fine.. but i can't whip it around like my 44" No fun! not to mention time is $$$$ (my edge trim and blow guys hate me!! No help feom me while I am slow or messing around with the mower)

8. piston slapper

Put the front of the mower against a tree or a wall and engage the drive..
    Have someone else look under and around the mower while it is slipping..
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. grassbutler

i.e. If the Eng Drive belt was slipping... It would be visible under a load against a tree/wall ?

10. piston slapper

You better believe it...if the belt is moving and the pulley ain't moving...the belt is slipping..
    Posted via Mobile Device