1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

2013 Drought Busters

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Duekster, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

What is it going to take to break your drought. We broke ours in 2012 while others fell into one. We slipped back into one late 2012 but early 2013 we have has some good rains.

2. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

June got hot and dry for us. Had record rainfall first two weeks of July of all times. Closed out 2012 above normal in rainfall with 9" in December alone. Forecast of 4-6" of rain this weekend. Still trying to get a handful of leaf cleanups done as well as mow some winter ryegrass and trim some bushes.

3. Toro 455

Toro 455 LawnSite Member

SW Ohio is on the edge of the drought. This winter we've been getting some precipitation, maybe enough to "technically" pull us out of drought conditions.

But if the precipitation don't fall in the growing season it doesn't help me any.

4. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

It's wierd we are so close but yet far apart on rain. All this rain that moved into Texas yesterday and they are showing we have less than a quarter of a inch. We just keep getting the drizzle but I'll take whatever we can get.

5. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Well it seemed most of the recent rains were all around us too. Maybe you will get yours soon.
    Where does your public water come from?

I heard some of our area lakes were down 7 or so feet around christmas so I was getting concerned

6. baseball9074

baseball9074 LawnSite Member

Where in sw ohio are you at?
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I think they say our water source lake is down 50% and that was because of little rain in 2011. While we got moderate rain in 2012 the lake only went up a very small amount. Water for rice farming downstream from us was cut off and will stay off this year. We are on a restricted once a week watering with small numbers of hours. The greenes took advantage of the situation and watering restrictions will remain for a long time. Water prices are around $300 per month across the 8 months we water.

On better note we got some of the rain the last couple days...projected to be 6" but won't even be close to that, unless something cuts lose tonite.

8. Toro 455

Toro 455 LawnSite Member

Clinton County (Wilmington), but I've had mowing contracts in Cincy, Dayton, Springfield. I quit all that driving and just stay in Clinton County now.

9. Toro 455

Toro 455 LawnSite Member

First I ever heard that. It just reminds me how different the conditions are that we work in.

10. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

At my residence in Callisburg we have two or three wells and the school has its own well.
    Gainesville has both wells and surface water. I forget how many wells the city has and the surface water comes from Moss lake. The thing that troubles me is the fact Gainesville never has water restrictions. I talked with them in 2011 when everybody around was going on some type of restrictions and their answer to me was "we have plenty of water and we are in the business of selling water".