2013 Drought Busters

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Duekster, Jan 8, 2013.

1. ToddH

ToddH LawnSite Silver Member

Last night I think I heard the forcaster say in the last 24 hour period. Jan 8 and 9th that we recieved more rain in our area than we had the last 3 months. We did get some decent rain around new years too. This was a solid soaking rain.

2. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm in SW ohio as well, just north of cincy. 2012 saw lawns that weren't visited for weeks on end. I lost thousands, to put it bluntly. When things go dormant, well, you tend to lose the motivation along with it. The drought even impacted the fall leaf cleanup-volume was down by 30-40%. Here's hoping for a better 2013!

3. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

Were you one of the lucky ones that go around 3"? It is showing we got .96, but anything is better than nothing. Now I wish we could get a couple inches of hard rain to help fill the stock tanks up.

4. ToddH

I suspect we got 3 inches or so. The low spots in my yard are still holding water.

5. dieselfuel

dieselfuel LawnSite Member

psh. i saw an article recently that said we need 150" of snow this winter (thats not a typo) to be back to where we were pre-drought conditions. We have had about 2" of snow this winter and supposed to get about 1" of rain today.

6. ToddH

Just heard lake arlington is still 6 feet low.