1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

2013 Exmark Lazer Z RED Troubles

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by desii, Apr 26, 2013.

1. desii

desii LawnSite Member

I recently purchased two of the new Exmark Lazer z 60's with the new RED technology. Well, one of them has been in the shop for a week now with a whole 23 hours on it! No power. It will start, but the throttle will not respond thru the toggle switch and battery light blinks. Was hoping it was just the battery or a safety switch / small electrical issue. But NO, it's a computer board or something like that. Here's the good part...the machine is so new, they don't even have a part number for what's needed! Apparently, I'm the only one so far with this problem, according to Exmark. Time will tell. On the other hand, the other one is awesome and very fuel efficient. So I'm at 50/50. Lol.

2. ddixon7

ddixon7 LawnSite Senior Member

I thought about the RED, but I am always scared about the first few machines on the market. It always seems like there are bugs to be worked out on new models. I went with the X series with the 34hp Kohler carb motor. Works good but is a TOTAL and absolute gas PIG. I'm thinking it sucks down gas 300% as hard as my 24hp Turf Tracers. What are you getting per hour with the RED?

By the way, how do you like the new seats on these machines? I like mine a lot better than the old ones.

3. desii

desii LawnSite Member

I didn't think, or even know, about the RED until the I ordered new machines to replace the ones stolen in December (detailed in another post). I felt the same way, I don't want to be a gunea pig to discover the bugs. There's always bugs...6.0 powerstroke, windows version (all) lol. Anyway, the seat is great and so is the fuel efficiency. The machines stolen were the 34HP on a 72 and it sucks the gas, like you said, almost 3:1. The other was the 29 Kohler EFI and it was much better, but nothing to the 34HP RED. Don't have exact numbers, but it is better. I still have a 34HP carb on a 72 (they didn't get that one) and was thinking about trading it in for a RED, but, at this point, I'll hold off to see how these two work out.

4. showmestaterida

showmestaterida LawnSite Member
    from midwest

Looking at the same mower w/ red. Want the efi and thats the only engines the offer efi. The 29 kaw, and the 34 kohler are carbed. what part dont they have ?

5. olebrooklawn

olebrooklawn LawnSite Member

My mower has 50.0 hours on it. Doing great. Only thing is sometimes the parking break won't press the button down to crank.

6. Blade Runners

Blade Runners LawnSite Bronze Member

What kind of GPH are you getting and what engine?

7. desii

desii LawnSite Member

The electronic part for the "throttle" switch. That are working with Kohler to figure out what test to run to know which part is bad. This is supposed to be completed Monday so they can overnight the part and get the machine back to me.

8. showmestaterida

showmestaterida LawnSite Member
    from midwest

Seeing u payed 11500, was it like pulling teeth? I cant get my dealer to go below 11,990. Hows the power? Pros and cons of the mower? Enough power? I have a 9 year old z that i am upgrading to this hopefully.The price is killing me.

9. desii

desii LawnSite Member

The one I put in the shop has the exact same problem. I think you need to adjust the bolt furthest from the cam lock. From what I could tell, that would make the cam push the tab against the sensor enough to cure the problem.

10. desii

desii LawnSite Member

I pulled the receipt to be sure, I actually paid 11823.37 plus tax. I paid 10983.36 in 2012 for a 60 with a 29hp Kohler EFI. So, it's a grand more for the RED plus you get the upgraded seat and don't forget the cig lighter to plug in your phone. I'm not certain about the actual fuel usage. I'll have it checked next week, but the operator is saying its much better than even the 29efi from lat year. I think the RED only comes in 34 or 38hp. I have the 34 and its doing better than the old 29. That's pretty nice.

Pros: The power is amazing and so is the fuel economy, plus you will love the seat.

Cons: The whole point of this thread :)