2013 ferris 3100z 2nd belt this season

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by williams lcm, Oct 15, 2013.

1. WilsonBoud

WilsonBoud LawnSite Member

This is what the Scag Cheetah manual has to say about engaging the clutch for the blades......

"Set the throttle at about 3/4 speed. Do not attempt to engage the deck drive at high speed as this shortens the electric clutch life � use only moderate engine speed when engaging the deck drive."

:usflag: *trucewhiteflag* :usflag:

2. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Deere is the same way. I have always said that engaging at WOT will shorten the clutch life by quite a bit. Think about it. You're taking that huge load and trying to start it immediately at full RPM on the clutch? No way that isn't wearing and shortening the life of the clutch.

I don't know which would be worse, replacing the PTO every so often or the belts even more often.:dizzy:

3. Derrick G

Derrick G LawnSite Member

I've heard this a few times before about the icd deck. What puzzles me is that the Scag velocity deck has the same sloped nose but I don't know that I've ever heard anyone mention this problem with the velocity deck. Any ideas on why it seems to be more prevalent on the icd deck?

4. LibertyFarmLandscaping

LibertyFarmLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE TX

Maybe the adjustable baffle on the scag that the ICD doesn't have.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. greenology

greenology LawnSite Senior Member

I had been thinking the same thing, Id say the sticks would still be scooped up but must be deflected better, I don't think theres a frame along the front of the spindle area on the velocity, so maybe any sticks are deflected whereas the Icd having a frame there allows the sticks to be kept in there continuously rubbing on the belt.

6. greenology

Hmm, that's underneath the deck which wouldn't really come into play I don't think?

7. Derrick G

Derrick G LawnSite Member

It's possible. I've never been able to compare both decks side by side but there has to be something causing trouble on the icd deck.

8. ncknaklawns

ncknaklawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

This year I started engaging PTO at 1/4 throttle hoping tp extend the life of the idler pulleys on the fast vac and at 350hrs the deck belt broke, machine is new this year. So another trade off. The pulleys are $25 the belt $90. Guess I'll increase start speed to 5/8.

9. greenology

Howdy, have you had any issues with clutch life as yet?

10. zwhit81

zwhit81 LawnSite Member

I had a belt break at 250hrs and my locally owned mower shop put on a belt made for a badboy. I now have 700hrs on the machine and no belt problems at all.