2013 john deere x540 speed problem

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Whittaker's Lawn and Snow, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Whittaker's Lawn and Snow

Whittaker's Lawn and Snow LawnSite Member

I just bought a 2013 jd x540. Recently I have noticed that it is slow when going forward, is there a way to adjust this?

2. southerntide

southerntide LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Alabama

When did the problem occur? Any breakdowns happen lately or anything strange noises?

3. tompowerweb1

tompowerweb1 LawnSite Member

My x740 has done the same thing with the reverse pedal. There are 2 bolts on the pedals under the floorboard. One of the bolt holes is oblong, to allow for pedal adjustment. You will have to loosen both bolts to adjust the pedal "higher" for more speed. I've had to do this a few different times on my tractor. Hope this helps

4. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Make sure the free wheeling valve lever in the rear is all the way into the closed position too.

5. Whittaker's Lawn and Snow

Nope no break downs.

6. Whittaker's Lawn and Snow

Thanks, so.I loosen the nolt in front of it and in back? I observed it and when I go forward the rod that is hooked to the transmission moves towards the back. So if im right ill need to loosen both bolts and slide it towards the front.of.the tractor to increase the forward speed. I just hope it wont decrease the reverse speed!