2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Doin_It, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Doin_It

Doin_It LawnSite Member

Has anyone ordered one yet..........I see that it only took the dealers 3 days to order up the first run of 8000 units.

2. 360ci

360ci LawnSite Senior Member

I looked into it but you need to get a high trim level here in Canada in order to get the diesel, which throws the economics out the window as it commands a $4,995 premium on top of the Laramie package. If I could at least get the diesel in SLT trim, it would be an OK investment as I buy vehicles for the long haul. I can get an SXT HEMI for $13K less, not to mention a ST 2500 Cummins is the same cost as a 1500 diesel with a couple options. I look at trucks from a work perspective, and the ecodiesel is aimed squarely at folks who want a truck for everyday errands and not actual work. RAM will cash in on this one.

3. OneLineAtATime

OneLineAtATime LawnSite Member

Wow, havent seen that yet..

4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

They are using some type of Italian diesel engine in it. not a Cummins. That is all I know about it at this point. sounds like pricing will be ridiculously high.

5. yclawncare

yclawncare LawnSite Member

I have heard that Dodge is doing away with Cummins starting next year. The Nissan Titan will get a Cummins now. I think Dodge is going with a diesel made by Fiat. Big mistake.

6. 360ci

360ci LawnSite Senior Member

The 1500 ecodiesel uses the same platform as Mercedes and other German makes. The block is made by an Italian firm - VM Motori. Cummins will be the mainstay in the HD market. Cummins won't get involved in the light duty market due to lower profitability per engine sold. I picked up an M2 106 Freightliner with the 6.7ISB engine rated at 220hp and it's a fantastic machine.

7. Chris_NC06

Chris_NC06 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Sanford, NC

You heard wrong. The RAM HD's will keep Cummins for the foreseeable future. The Nissan Titan will get a smaller Cummins as well.

8. OneLineAtATime

OneLineAtATime LawnSite Member

Cummins has been the best diesel since early 90's.. Ford and GM are still trying to get it right... I own all 3 of them..

Dodge is dumb to get rid of it..

9. Chris_NC06

Chris_NC06 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Sanford, NC

Dodge isn't getting rid of Cummins. GM has had it right since '06. I've owned 3 Duramax trucks all of which were just as reliable as any Cummins. Not only that, but they rode, stopped and accelerated much better than the many Cummins trucks I've driven and rode in. By all accounts the 6.7 Ford is doing pretty well for itself too.

10. RSNovi

RSNovi LawnSite Member
    from MI

Dodge engine, GM transmission, and Ford body would make the perfect truck in my mind.