20HP Kohler Command Vert. Shaft--HELP

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by jphips, Apr 5, 2006.

1. jphips

jphips LawnSite Member

I have a tractor with a 20hp kohler command vertical shaft engine in it. All of a sudden at the end of last year it developed a problem. It starts and runs at high and low idle beautifullly, but after running for anywhere from 10minutes to 30 minutes it will immediately die, like someone turned off the key. It doesn't peter out, putt, or diesel as it dies. Then it refuses to start for at least 12 hours, but then it starts like a champ and the whole process repeats itself. Help, any suggestions please. I have replaced/gapped the plugs, changed the spark generator, replaced the fuel filter, replaced/changed the oil, checked wires, etc. What am I overlooking?
  2. fireman649

fireman649 LawnSite Member

When it dies, check for spark, I had the same problem on my old mower, found the coil bad. When it gets hot it dies, after cooling, it will work again
    Hope this helps
  3. jphips

jphips LawnSite Member

My engine has a horseshoe shaped coil and magnet which passes by it to make a spark that is connected to the flywheel. I replaced the coil, could the flywheel magnet go bad?
  4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Do as fireman said a check for spark when it dies. Not likely the magnet is bad, What did you set coil to flywheel air gap at ? Should be 0.011-0.013",
    Post the spec. numbers off the engine so I can check some other things. Also what brand tractor is this ?
  5. jphips

jphips LawnSite Member

The engine is a Kohler Command CV-20 in a Wizard (western Auto) tractor, I think it was made by American Yard Products (like everything). I have gapped the coil according to the service manual. Can this onlt be the coil, great if so, but do you have any other ideas to check if this doesn't work?
  6. jphips

jphips LawnSite Member

Sorry, I had a brain-fart it is a Kohler Magnum MV-20, I was thinking of my other Command engine. The tractor is as I wrote before.