1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

20w50 hydro oil?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tony Harrell, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

Met a guy at the shop today who said the Tecumseh factory rep told him his hydro gear transmission needed synthetic 20w50 but he can't find it anywhere. What's the difference between that and 20w50 synthetic motor oil? Btw-it's a Murray lawn tractor, I didn't have the heart to tell him it would nake a great boat anchor. Regardless, I'd still like to know what the difference between the two is.
  2. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Difference between what? Don't get what you are comparing in your post. As for 20W50....that is what I use in my Scag's hydro system.
  3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I am not sure what you are comparing to either but I know that alot of hydros run on 20w 50 or comparable weight synthetic like Mobil 1 or Amsoil.
    I know that some of the gear boxes also run on a 80w-90 blend of synthetic also.
    I have used this oil in my Walkers since 1998 and have not had a problem. Walker actually started putting synthetic in the mowers in 99 or 2000.
  4. Fvstringpicker

Fvstringpicker LawnSite Fanatic

20W50 synthetic can be found at virtually any auto parts store, walmart, etc., ect. As with Scrapper, I don't know what you'er comparing in your sentence ---- "What's the difference between that and 20w50 synthetic motor oil?"
  5. Tony Harrell

Is 20w50 synthetic motor oil used in hydros? I did a google search on hydro fluids and there are a tremendous number of applications and products that are intended for specific applications. Could this guy go to Wal-Mart and get 20w50 off the shelf and put it in his hydro?
  6. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I believe the question you are asking is what is the difference between motor oil and transmission fluid? There is a huge difference and you can't swap one with the other. I will say however some of manufacturers recommend motor oil in their hydro systems.

7. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

20w50 Mobile 1 synthetic is available at any auto parts store.

If you are comparing oil to transmission fluid there is a difference.

Most motor oil and hydro oil is just basically oil. One might have more additives in it, or better for not breaking down, but all pretty much the same.

Exmark uses 15w50 Mobile 1 synthetic in their hydros.
  8. Tony Harrell

I did a search for mobil 20w50 synthetic and came up with a lot of hits including their own website but, only found 15w50. I use CASTROL reguler 20w50 along with LUCAS in my truck and I'm sure I picked up some CASTROL synthetic 20w50 one time by mistake.
  9. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

If you are ask what is the difference between synthetic and non-synthetic, it is the ability to hand heat. Synthetics can handle higher temperature ranges. Petroleum based oil will break down. If there in no oil cooler you have some very temperature ranges in the hydro pumps.