21/30 inch mowers as main mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SSantor, Jul 27, 2014.

1. uhm...not quite...def. don't have to muscle it around.

I like it a lot. Leaves a great cut on St. Augustine while mulching. Fits through all gates and yards where a bigger mower would be too big, it is the perfect size and doesn't leave ruts.

It is lightyears better than a 30"

2. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

I still don't see these mowers lasting anywhere near even the cheapest belt drive on the market. Not at 40 or more cuts a week.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. grassmonkey0311

grassmonkey0311 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MD/NC

I have a couple 21's that do over 40 lawns a week, still going strong, and on their 2nd year. This year is to test them to see how long they can go before they break. I originally thought I was going to have to replace them after a year. Downtime can be a real profit killer, so I want to make sure everything is dialed in right and see what these mowers can do.

My business is focused around 21's. It's gone really well for me. Training my guys to trim is harder than how to use a mower. :dizzy:

My guys don't mow properties over a certain square footage, so they are really only on site 30 to 35 minutes max, townhouses take roughly 7-10 minutes. I think in the future I want to look at 30's, but for now the 21's work fine. Using only 21's won't work in all areas, especially for those of you out in the country.

4. SSantor

SSantor LawnSite Member

Grassmonkey, I sounds like you have a good cutting plan. Could you tell me more about your 21 inch set up? How many crews do you run? How many lawns do you cut in a day? How do you find your help? Do you cut with the crew?

5. Utah Lawn Care

Utah Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 2 man crew. 2 Exmark 30's and 1 Exmark 21. We use the 21 where we have to and are happy to use the 30's everywhere else. We mow 15k properties and down. I have them on a 6x10.

6. SSantor

SSantor LawnSite Member

Good to hear your doing well. I see you added a person and trailer. I still think you should officiate basketball in the off season!

7. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Now I hear the 30s are having blade engagement cable issues. I still say any belt drive wb will do everything better and longer.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Kawizx62003

Kawizx62003 LawnSite Silver Member

Don't believe everything you hear. Some people inn here are not open minded at all.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. olajoe808

olajoe808 LawnSite Member
    from Zone 5b

You won't be able to fit anything bigger than a 30 through the gated properties here. If there is a better fit machine haven't found it yet. Locally, 30y/o companies still rely on the 21 as the go to machine.

10. Kawizx62003

Kawizx62003 LawnSite Silver Member

True story.
    Posted via Mobile Device