1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

21"...a quick question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stryper, Apr 6, 2006.

1. stryper

stryper LawnSite Member
    from IL

Other than on tiny, tiny lawns, is there any real use for a 21" mower over, say, a 36"?
  2. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

IMO not really, I only ran my 21 very little.There only 2 spots were I couldn't get my 48
  3. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

36" won't fit through a lot of gates in my area. I'm probably going to pull the 36" off the truck and put a 32" on there to give the guys a break. They're using the 21" a lot lately, and on some fairly large back yards, because of the gate issue.

Also, if something is REALLY wet, I tell them to use teh 21" to minimize the turf damage they're going to cause.
  4. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

I use a 21" a lot. Here there are a lot of old houses with small gates, where anything bigger just won't work. Then there are the hills, too steep and small for anything other than a 21". Gotta have it.
  5. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

they come in handy for hills as stated above. i have one customer with a huge above ground septic sys. the 21 is the way to go for it
  6. mrbray101

mrbray101 LawnSite Senior Member

also the little islands in parking lots, sometimes lugging a 36 up each curb isnt practical.