21" at 3 inches

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PaulJ, Apr 8, 2004.

1. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

So is there any 21" mowers that can cut good at 2.3" to 3" hight?
    The 21"s I have used seem to do OK when cutting shorter. When cutting at 2.5 to 3 inches(some don't even go up to 3") the grass just lays down especially where the wheels go.

I'm cutting blue grass and fescue lawns. I have used Ariens and Ariens pro, Snapper and Snapper pro. It's been awhile but I used to use toro prolines. The Toro seemed to do better than the others but like I said It's been awhile since I used one. (10 years).
    I don't use a 21" much but when I do I want it to look nice without having to cut so short.

Any ideas?

2. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I sold all 21, and never use them again. In Florida, commercially cutting or cutting for living, the 21 will not survive on St. Augustine grass, so thick that it will leave stringers everywhere...can't make a living
    , besides all 21ers can not be raised as high as 4" at same time maintaining a clean cut....go 36, 48 and 52 all the way.
    regards,

3. I run 2 ariens 21's. Increased the rpm's to 2150 and run doubles. Gator on the bottom and oe on top, works well for side discharge on KBG. When bagging 2 oe with back 1 notch lower than front.
    Also changed blade adapter to get extra 1/2" cut height.

4. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I used to use a lawnboy silver pro @ 3" with great results. I'm not sure how well that would do on the type of grass you are cutting though...

5. grassredneck

grassredneck LawnSite Member

I have a Honda Harmony mower with the plastic deck and the Master series engine. It cuts great and no I didn't get it at Depot or Lowes-It cuts great at 3", however, the wheels wear dn pretty quickly and they slide on even slight inclines. It's a lot easier for the Latinos to use than the Toro Pro-Line because it's so light.It doesn't have a clutch though

6. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

7. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I have run at 3 inch a few times with our Honda HRC216s and it cut pretty good. Same type turf as you have.

8. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

Ariens LM21SW. By far one of the toughest mowers out there. Yes, it's heavy but the cut was awesome, easy to switch between bagging & mulching and built to last. The swivel wheels were very handy for trimming around landscape and will maintain a 3" cut easily. You can also make some adjustments as mentioned above to give you another .5" or so.

9. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

thanks for the input guys,

I only use the 21" on 4 or 5 lawns a week. I have an ariens now the runs great but it has the older three speed trans with the ratchet type finaldrives on the wheels. these final drives are constantly wearing out. I have tried a snapper high lift blade on it and it seems to blow more out the bottom than into the bag. I increased the engine speed some. Maybe I am just too picky.

I picked up a used snapper last week because they seem to be talked about well and seem tough. I think I will try to take it back for to the dealer I bought it from. the cut was worse than the old ariens and the engine is powerless. I might try honda or go back to toro. I really don't have a lot of money to spend on a 21" right now but I need a back up at least.

I wish a manufacture of the big mowers like hustler or exmark would take the deck design principles of the big mowers and apply it to a 21" mower.

10. JPLAWNSERVICE

JPLAWNSERVICE LawnSite Member

I just bought one of the husqvarna 5521rs 21in. mowers and I like it a lot so far. It has the 5.5 horse honda engine and it seems to have all of the power you could want. I mow at 3 inches and it still has 2 or 3 notches left to raise the deck up some more so it will probably go up to about 4 inches. I like the variable speed drive and it is very easy to change from bagging, mulching and discharging.