21" duke out thread...Exmark Metro 21" vs. Honda HRC216

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scag48, Mar 2, 2007.

1. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I know this topic has been covered a 100,000 times, did a search but never really came up with exactly what I was looking for. I'm not looking for general durability of the mower, etc., I'm strictly asking for mulching performance opinions between these two. If there is ANYONE out there has that mulched exclusively with both of these mowers could please share their findings with me. I spent some time looking at a 21" Metro yesterday at my Exmark dealer, liked the machine, but something is telling me to take a look at the Honda commercial units. Went and took a look at the Honda's today, the dealer is about 15 minutes whereas the Exmark dealer, who I have deep ties with, is about an hour and a half away. Honda dealer won't let me demo or I wouldn't even be asking this question, I'd go find out for myself, but I'd like a second opinion before I go drop $1200 on a 21".

I'm trying to get going in the Seattle area after having run a business on the "desert" side of the state for 7 years, cutting conditions are entirely different here than they were back "home". I mulched 100% back home, absolutely zero bagging and I would like to do the same here in the Seattle area. I know a lot of guys here bag and get the joy of paying to dump the clippings somewhere, I'd rather not do that, especially since I'll be working out of the back of my truck for a year or so until I can afford an enclosed trailer, a larger W/B, etc. There will be days where the grass will be soaking wet and I will be mowing in it. Even if I have to double cut every lawn I mow while mulching it would probably still be quicker than bagging and then driving in Seattle traffic trying to get to the recycle joint to pay to dump grass. So, can the Honda handle these conditions while mulching? I know there are a few of you Seattle guys on here, feel free to chime in. I'm sure there will be a few days, however, that there just might not be any way around bagging, but I'm shooting to mulch 95% of the time. Sorry for the run-along thread, but I can't screw up this purchase, it would seriously ruin me.

2. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont have a lot of experience with 21's, but I have a Honda commercial mulching/ bagging mower. (I'd have to look, but I think it IS a HRC216, it is in winter storage right now), bought it new in 2005. The only problem I've ever had is the Honda blades suck, they are so thin, they bend when they look at a rock! And they dull quicker than any blade I've ever used. I bought it for my personal lawn before starting the biz., and I used it for about a month last summer mowing customer lawns, but spent more time replacing blades and back-tracking over areas that didnt get cut! Too bad you're so far away, I'd make someone a great deal on it, right now as far as I'm concerned, its just a lawn ornament.

3. marckxman

marckxman LawnSite Member

I have some doubts about your plan. Mulching is certainly posible at times here in the Pacific NW but not 95% of the time and likely less then 50% of the time.
    It is a very different ball game from the desert side (Spokane?). There is simply way too much top growth combined with too many rain days. In addition, you will find far more rye grass lawns in Seattle. They grow fast and have a high moisture content.
    From April to June you might find some days you can mulch but probably not many. July to September it should be no problem. October to December will be hit and miss.
    Good luck though. If you can work out a system to meet your goal, I want in on it.

4. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I didn't see you say anything about Toro's Commercial 21" the most used and durable commercial 21" in the industry.