21" good mulcher at highest height

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Live4Mowin', Aug 19, 2003.

1. Live4Mowin'

Live4Mowin' LawnSite Member

Im looking to get a new 21" mower because my craftsmen just doesnt cut it(pardon pun). I always mulch and some of my lawn I mow at the highest hight on the mower. My craftsmen has no vacuum so it cuts horribly at high heights. What mowers can mulch well at high heights?

2. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

On 21" machines, you may find the same problem regardless of brand. When the deck gets so high, leaves gap between bottom of deck and 'top' of lawn. = Sucks air not grass

If you find one that REALLY mulches well in that position, please post again on this thread, am very interested.

3. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I just bought the Honda 216 comm. It does a very good job with the extra quadra cut. bags like hello also. I do not do any cutting below its 3.0" maximum cut. I leave it at its highest cutting heighth.

4. Grasshog

Grasshog LawnSite Senior Member

The best I'v seen is the good old two stroke Lawnboy. Just buy a 36'er

5. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought a 21" Honda HRC216PDA mower a couple of months ago, to cut some of my swamped out lawns. I wanted a good quality lightweight mower, what I got has to be the best mulching and side discharge 21" that I have ever seen. It mulches excellent at 3"+ cutting height.

6. btbej

btbej LawnSite Member

I know I will get kicked out of this conversation quick, but here it goes......I own Lowe's cub cadet 21 with caster wheels (kaw engine) and this thing cuts and stripes grrrrreat! I know I am getting laughed at, but I have had (when I use to cut with it full time b4 my exmark 36) customers comment on how well the lawn looked after the cub cadet did it's job. Believe it or now on some turf it cuts a t it's best with the front casters at 3" and 4" on the back lever....again some of the turfs. For instance I have two backyards I have to cut with the 21" one I cut at the 3-4 combo and it mulches and stripes awesome...and the other back yard has to be cut at 3" all 4 wheels. Well just a thought....sorry!