21" honda commercial question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jsf343, Apr 7, 2006.

1. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have started to have numerous small problems with my Honda commercial
    (21"s) I am wondering if I am just having some bad luck or if it is time to turn them. I have had the oldest for close to 7 years (yes, it is time to turn that one) the other 2 are 4 and 5 years old. I figured somewhere around 5 years, but now I am wishing I had started around 4 and just did one a year. I think it was a poor decision on my part. What is your expierence with them and how soon would you turn them? Would you use a different brand? I love hondas (21's anyway) they are built like tanks, but as heavy as a dadburn tank too.

2. Hank Reardon

Hank Reardon LawnSite Senior Member

Check out the new Toro Hi-Vac 21". I currently have Honda's on my truck but will be switching next year. Though it feels like a lot, it is just a little lighter than the Honda with more power. Oh, and it seemed to pack more grass too.

3. NIXRAY

NIXRAY LawnSite Senior Member

ARE THEY THE HR-SERIES OR ANOTHER MODEL, I'VE GOT 10 HR215'S
    COMMERCIAL 21'S. I COULD RUN 'EM OVER W/ A SEMI AND STILL START IT LIKE BRAND NEW:weightlifter: . JUST MAKE SURE YOU TUNE-UP AND ONLY RUN NGK PLUGS!!

4. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

We have been using the Honda HRC 216s for 8 years now. We average about 900 hours a year on each of them. The new version that came out last year with the revised deck and twin blades is alot better than the old models. You should go get one and try it out. It will cut the tall wet grass and pack the bag so full you wont believe it.
    But they do have a couple of minor faults. #1 , the tabs that hold the bag on are of a thinner metal than before and tend to bend when the bag is full of wet grass and running the mower over very rough ground. This can be solved with a little welding on the tabs with a mig welder to strengthen them. #2, The new tire design lets the tire roll off the rim on extreme side hilling , this to can be solved with some glue or silicone.Other than these items they are still one of the most durable mowers on the market. But the way they cut is better than anything else I have tried. I usually buy a new HRC216 every spring to rotate the 5 mower fleet we have. And we keep the old ones for spare parts. We try to do the same with the handheld stuff too.

5. jsf343

speaking of the welding,we did that on our old ones as well and like the results. I appreciate the responses, it gives me something to chew on.
    One question though on the new hondas, I like what the dealer has told me
    (much of the same things you have said) however I have heard the blades
    get chewed up quicker and damaged easier. Have you noticed this? I am
    surprised to hear you mention that about the tires also, seems a bit unusual.

6. jsf343

WOW! not sure what the heck happened to the margins on my post

7. jsf343

How do they do in the wet weather? I see you are in the same conditions we are. Liquid Gold is what I call it:laugh: Are you able to run any kind of high lift blade? how long have you used them??

8. jsf343

HR216's, I love them. they have served me VERY well. I keep them well tuned, I think they are just getting old. You have a fleet of 10?! how many crews do you run? if you are going with 5 crews thats a nice set up, a few headaches I'm sure, but nice none the less.

9. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I think it's probably time to sell some of those Hondas you are referring to, JSF. And replace them with new ones. We keep ours about 3 years then I sell them for about $400 and then put that money toward buying a new one. They'll certainly last longer than 3 years. No doubt about that. But after a while they start to nickel and dime you to death. And I just love that 1 year warranty I get with the new ones.

10. jsf343

I think that is good advise from now on because that is exactly what is going on. You use the new model? how do you like them? What are you using for big mowers? I was thinking about a Scag or two, until I saw a thread the other day about the new deck design, now I am not so sure. More research for another day I guess.