21" honda mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by vball2116, May 23, 2005.

1. vball2116

vball2116 LawnSite Member

Hey everyone I have a question and am seeking your opinion. I am looking for a new 21" mower and am looking into 2 mowers. These are the one's i'm looking into:

Honda HRC Commercial Mower HRC216K1PDA its the new push commercial mower

Honda HRX Mower HRX217HXA the HRX with the Honda BBC

Honda HRX Mower HRX217TDA the HRX without without the BBC and it has the flywheel brake

Out of these three mowers which one will be the best for me. Im 16 almost getting my license and will be starting to get more lawns in the next years because I hope to create a business cutting lawns. These are the one's that im interested in now, but if any of you had a better experience about another mower tell me about them. Thanks in advance for the help.

2. yardmonkey

yardmonkey LawnSite Senior Member

The new Honda HRC216HXA and HRC216PDA are the only commercial grade Hondas and they replace all the previous HRC215 and HRC216 mowers. I have used 2 HRC215SXAs for the last 5 years. So I was happy to move up to the HRC216HXA. This machine may have some issues, as all machines do, but I've been pretty happy with it so far. THe HRC216PDA actually has an even more powerful engine, which is the only reason they released this odd beast. I can't imagine trying to push around a 100lb mower. They have not yet figured out how to put a direct drive on this engine and they may go to a belt drive to get it onto a self-propelled model. In my opinion, a manual push mower (non-self-propelled) could only make sense if the mower weighed 30-50 lbs, and there are plently of those at Sears. The HXA is a bit more money, but still a couple hundred cheaper than their previous top of the line HRC216's. I would certainly recommend go with the HRC216HXA.

If you really need to spend less, probably it would be smarter to go with one of the non-commercial HRX217's, rather than killing yourself with the HRC216PDA.
  3. Kilroy

Kilroy LawnSite Member
    from KY

Actually, I believe these are the latest HRC models: http://www.hondanews.com/CatID5063?mid=2002110461722&mime=asc

I bought the HRC216K2HXA a few weeks back. A great mower, but heavy. You might want to go with a self-propelled, non-commercial model. HTH
  4. Cigarcop

Cigarcop LawnSite Member

What is the difference between the one you bought (HRC216K2HXA) and the HRC216K1HXA if you know? I'm looking at the latter model, also if you can what was the cost? I'm looking at $1000.00 for it.
  5. daltonbuck

daltonbuck LawnSite Member

#1. Go with the BBC. It is much easier on a mower when you do not have to kill and re-crank it. Not to mention it helps with your daily fatigue.

#2. Honda's make very good engines... so their mowers are bound to perform and cut well.

#3. I have a Toro (see below) with a Kawasaki BBC. The best push mower I have ever had and had the pleasure to operate. i DID have the option of the same mower but with the Honda BBC. I am sure either way I would be happy. You may want to look into the Toro's as well as the eXmark's. Although I have never used the eXmark, if their push mowers are as good as their ZTR's it might be a good investment. For the record, I still stand behind my Grasshopper ZTR and wouldn't own anything else (well, okay, maybe a Kubota Diesel... but that's very expensive). Let me know what you end up with.

6. Kilroy

Kilroy LawnSite Member
    from KY

K1: single high-lift blade standard, twin blade mulching blades optional, .53 gallon tank capacity, 1.9 to 3.7 mph ground speed, 6 mowing height adjustments, mowing height range is 1-3 inches, aluminum wheels, 126 lbs. dry weight. I got these specs from Honda's last year's mower catalog.

K2: twin mulching blades standard, .29 gallon fuel capacity, 1.8 to 4.0 mph ground speed, 8 mowing height adjustments, 3/4" to 4" mowing height range, xenoy(hard plastic?) wheels, 122 lbs. dry weight.

Here is the page for the specs for the K2: model:http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/ModelDetail.asp?ModelName=HRC216HXA

I got it for $1025 plus tax. HTH
  7. Cigarcop

Cigarcop LawnSite Member

Thanks Kilroy!