1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

21" Honda running poorly?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by rtreehntr, Jul 28, 2005.

1. rtreehntr

rtreehntr LawnSite Member
    from pa

Can someone explain how to adjust the rpm's of a Honda mower. My mower seems to be running a bit slow or not up to the right RPM. I was told many reasons why this could happen such as the throttle cable may be stretched or it just may need the throttle adjusted.. I know there are two screws in the front of the mower but don't know what one to turn and what way, in or out. Or, should i adjust the cable at the throttle engagement.

thanks Rick
  2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Mine was running slow so I adjusted at the top close to the throttle lever. You can loosen the two nuts and adjust upward. Then check the choke to be sure it isn't been actuated until you push the lever completely down. There is an adjusting screw down to the right of the carb. I suppose you could also loosen the cable holding clamp at the bottom and pull cable back toward the handle but that isn't a micro adjusting like the threads are at the top. Maybe somebody with more knowledge will chime in and help us both.