21 in walkbehind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawndog, Feb 15, 2001.

1. lawndog

lawndog LawnSite Member

I'd like to know what anyone else is using out there besides Honda. I'm mowing thick, tall(it grows fast in springtime here,Oregon coast),wet and I mean wet grass.
    No mulching, it's got to be able to bag this *&%*$ wet
    grass.I've got to buy another 21 wb and I'm wondering if anything out works better than my Honda, how about it?
    Nothing agains't my Honda but I'm not totally in love with the drive and weight of it either.

2. KindGardener

KindGardener LawnSite Member

I'm real happy with my Tru-Cut C-21 (though I have no idea if they still make 'em). Mowed yesterday in some sprinkles, following Monday's flood - the grass was real wet. It lifts it up & gets it all in the rear bag.

3. Lawndog,
    Anytime you want good suction and not so much weight, you're going to have to compromise somewhere.

I've been using Lawnboy(always commercial versions, not thier silver,gold series crap)all of my over 28 years in business. If you can get a hold of a m-series deck, that machines was the best sucking machine(excuse the pun) around. I have been using the model 22261 with the 2nd star blade and has great suction and power. Also, you can jump the regulator a little bit if you need more power. Spring time can be tough around here also.(check out alamia.com to see the model I'm talking about)
    John

4. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

Get an Airens. Hands down the best 21" you will find out there. The one thing that I was most impressed with was its ability to cut longer, wet grass. It really has a nice throw of the clippings, very minimal clupping under wet conditions, absolutely NO clumps under dry-regardless of length of grass. Its worth it to get the self propelled, and get a Briggs engine, unless you are mowing steep slopes ALL THE TIME, then go with a tecumshi(sp), but briggs is the best. Go for the largest HP available. I've tried alot of different 21" mowers and this is far the best. You won't be disappionted.