1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

21 Inch Commercial Push

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GreenShoesLC, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Differential

Differential LawnSite Member

I have an older snapper 21 commercial. It's the Hi-Vac model with the 5hp Wisconsin Robin engine. I have to agree with another comment, that it is a very versatile mower. I only have a few residential accounts, and it's my primary mower for everything. I use a high lift blade for bagging and it doesn't leave anyything behind, and the ninja blade for mulching. For "billygoat" jobs, the side discharge chews through everything. I hear alot of complaints about the drive system, but I really like it because anything that fails is very easy to replace, cheap, and is VISIBLE. I inspect it almost every morning, and haven't had anything fail.

Even with the hi-vac model, the ninja blade mulches very well. If the blade is dull, a second pass may be required for wet stuff, but with sharp blades, this mower is a "jack of all trades".

The lever that controls the self propel take a little getting used to, but I don't have any problems with it whatsoever.

I typically carry a 1/2 and 9/16 ratchet and the various parts, and can tackle any job that I come across with this single machine.

Thus far, I'm extremely pleased with the Snapper.

2. JoeHop6299

JoeHop6299 LawnSite Member

Again--- with the 21in mowers???
    No more than I use a 21 , I buy throw-a-ways from Lowes or H/D

3. Lawncutting27

Lawncutting27 LawnSite Senior Member

I think I'll start doing that, I feel like an idiot spending $1350 on a 21 and I only use it about 10% of the time.

4. JoeHop6299

JoeHop6299 LawnSite Member

I get about 3 to 4 years out of the JohnDeer S/P at Lowes, and they only run 300-to 500$ The Hondas do good too!

5. dgw

dgw LawnSite Bronze Member
    from OH

no one else likes lawn boys?

6. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 LawnSite Senior Member

I love my Honda HRX217VKA. I can't compare it to the others, however, because I've never used a Toro, Snapper, or Ariens. I did, however, look at all the others in showrooms before I made a purchase. The Honda is lighter than all the commercials from any brand mentioned, as it does not claim to be a commercial mower. It is built very strong, however, and the use of the plastic (Nexite) deck is what keeps the weight down, and is also on of my favorite features of this mower. It will never rust, doesn't dent, and grass does not stick too badly to the underside of the deck. It bags great, mulches great, and the bag is easy to remove/dump/replace. It's also about half the price of most commercial mowers.

7. Yard-Dawg

Yard-Dawg LawnSite Member

This is what they say about the aluminum decks as well, but what they dont mention is they crack and chunks will break out of them, and very hard to fix if they can be fixed at all. For example try to find a used non commercial aluminum deck mower that does not have a cracked deck they are very hard to find. The same deck on a commercial mower will have steel reinforcement plates along the cutting edges and wheel adjusters to TRY to prevent the deck from breaking but most still find a place to crack or an object goes through the deck.

I would like to see how the Nexite decks stand up...if they don't crack and break they may be the greatest thing going....but for now I believe a good steel deck will give you the best bang for your buck in a commercial use environment....one of the few commercial mower with a steel deck is the Ariens PRO-21, there may be others that I am now aware of.

I also think that is why the Ariens commercial mower is $850.00 and most of the others are $1300.00+.

8. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i have 18 lawnboys-guess i must like them-they cut what others cant. i also fix my snappers out in the field too-simple to work on.

9. Robert Pruitt

Robert Pruitt LawnSite Senior Member

just bought a new Deere JS 63, after the last last one lasted for nine years.

10. LawnMowerKing10

LawnMowerKing10 LawnSite Senior Member

I have the Toro Proline 21 and I love it.