1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

21 inch mower

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by NYLAWNMAN01, Jun 21, 2007.

NYLAWNMAN01 LawnSite Member

guys what would be the biggest lot to mow by myself with a 21 inch mower?
  2. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

That's an interesting question, since I mow exclusively with a 21". It takes a little longer, sure, but all my customers are willing to pay extra; many do not want a company that uses a 60" Dixie Chopper just so they can get it done in 30sec. If you want to get more than 10-12 done a day though, get a bigger mower.

Not to get off my original post but What would be a good 21 inch mower? Self Propelled or not? Rear bag or side disharge? Is Toro mowers any good? Thanks Matt

MJS, how big are your lots typically that you mow with the 21 inch mower? And also you mentioned that your customers dont mind paying a little more...if you dont mind me asking can you give me a round about figure you are charging for these lawns? Thanks for your help Matt
  5. SSS 18734

SSS 18734 LawnSite Member

I wouldn't do more than 1/3 of an acre with a pushmower. Even 1/8 of an acre sucks.

If you're a homeowner wanting a good mower, I would suggest the Toro Super Recycler. I used one as my primary mower when I was starting out for two years, and its still running strong. Great mower and its great at mulching. Its a great back-up mower if anything goes wrong with the W/B. Should run you mid $500's
  6. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I dont use a 21" hardly at all.... But what I have noticed is, the ones with the front wheels powered, they dont pull as well and rear powered wheels.....

I have 1 customer that I bag and when the bag gets CLOSE to being full it raises the front end, and it's hell to push

any more responses
  8. YukonG

YukonG LawnSite Member

I used to cut a few 0.5-0.6 acre lots with a 21".
    Hopefully I never have to do that again!
  9. MJS

The avg size of the lawns I mow runs about 7,000 - 10,000 sqft. I typically charge anywhere from $25 to $40 depending on hills, grass type, etc.
  10. MJS

You have got to have a self-propelled mower. Bagging and side-discharge is nice; my main mower is a 3in1 (mulch, discharge, bag). Toro mowers are very good, as are Snappers and Hondas. Make sure you get a commercial - rated mower; the other stuff is junk.

Here are some links for you to check out.