21 inch mowers

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by sparcolawn, Dec 23, 2005.

1. sparcolawn

sparcolawn LawnSite Member
    from IN

hey guys, i've got a question on why people are always asking about 21inch mowers, it seems to me like if i want a mower that small i'll just go out and buy a push mower, to me theres no need for debate about which one to take cuz they're all basically the same?.... thanks a lot for the comments on this

2. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

You can buy one for $129 or $1300. and everything in between.
    Got to be some difference, NO?:p

3. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

They surely aren’t the same, no more than saying that all 48” mowers are the same. More than likely you’ll need one sooner than later, and by having the right one you certainly could save yourself some grief. Get the wrong one and you may end up kicking, swearing, and complaining about how you should have gotten a different one.

4. sparcolawn

from IN

ok but what do you get from a 1300.00 21 inch that you cant get from a 150?

5. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

A 2 year commercial warranty, an engine with a commercial use warranty, a stronger, better built, longer lasting piece of equipment. Oh, and dealer support when you have problems instead of Wally World just giving you another piece of junk.

6. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

I can't think of a single user of an actual "push" mower that could go full time with it day in and day out and meet the productivity of their competitors. When I first started out and had nothing, I used homeowner model craftsman mowers and thought it was usual to have wheels break off, handles snap, drives give out, to fill them with oil once a week, etc. etc. Break it, get a new one is fine when you don't have a full schedule. Later on, we moved to the honda commercials, a bitter pill to swallow at a grand apiece for the commercial hydro drives, but they would take the trailering, run well past the time that many of their operators could handle, sipped fuel at a miserly pace and never slogged out in long grass. Meaning what? oh, yeah, improved productivity which translated into more money at the end of the day, every day there was work that needed it. Over the last 5 years, I carried that philosophy even further and when the 32" mowers started appearing in hydro configs with their deeper decks and 15 hp motors, we moved up, added sulkies and left the 21" mowers behind forever. 4 times the intial cost per machine, 10 times the productivity with a far superior cut. Why? the numbers told the story and if you track yours accurately, the time will come when you won't ask a question like that.

7. sparcolawn

from IN

thanks guys, i support your opinions very much... i've currently got 30 residential accounts and one very large commercial account and only use my push mower for two of them, so i'll stay with my 250.00 dollar wallyworld mower, but thanks for the input

8. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

True Cut Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

Find yourself a used Lawnboy (Not the new POS ones either)

9. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

That mower wont last long cutting even 30 yards a week. That mower was built for 1 hour a week.... Good luck though

10. nightworker

nightworker LawnSite Member

You are in a great position to look for a real great deal on a quality used commercial 21" for about the same as you have invested in one you allready have. After all, use what you have but, be on the lookout for a replacement that is commercial. You'll never really know the differance untill you've spent some time behind a commercial. My first commercial is a Toro pro-line with Suz. 2 stroke runs great and for $100 I laugh all day long behind it