1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

21 inch push mower. Which one?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Harry0, Jun 25, 2004.

1. Harry0

Harry0 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

We have been running Snapper 21s with Robbins 4 stroke engines for years. One just bit the dust. Our dealer only sells self propelled (commercial)that are heavy and last time we bought one the self propeller screwed up 3 months after purchase. We have used Lawn -Boy and liked it(light and durable) but they are going out of business. I have heard a lot of guys using Torro but I have found parts availability stinks.-Any input would be great-thanks in advance -Harry
  2. primecutmo

primecutmo LawnSite Member
    from SWMO

toro owns lawnboy now but the lawnboy deck should stay the same
  3. Yard Perfect

Yard Perfect LawnSite Member

I believe Honda is the only way to go. If you do just basic maintenance, they will last forever.
  4. walter2

walter2 LawnSite Member

lawn boy commercial .i bought one used when i was 19 and mowed 20 lawns went through 4 sets of wheels . it is like Christine it just wont die i bought a new one and gave the old one to my dad he uses it every weekend i am 32 now you do the math
  5. all degree

all degree LawnSite Senior Member

The best luck I have had believe it or not is with a craftsman. The reason I say that is that you can buy a 21 inch with a 6.5 HP briggs at sears for $169. Thats right $169. Use them for a season or two and salvage parts and buy a new one.

You are going to trash whatever you get so why not trash a mower that is 1/3 of the price.

Trust me on the this one.
  6. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

I here the Exmark 21" is a fine cutting machine....
  7. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

You could make that same argument about a lot of equipment, but the bottom line is you will be using a piece of junk for a year or two until it breaks, then you have to go out and buy a brand new piece of junk to use for another year. It's a vicious cycle.
  8. straightlinelawns

straightlinelawns LawnSite Member

i have a lawn boy, and it cranks on the first pull every time and it was the first mower i ever purchased when i got started in the landscape business. i cut 20 lawns weekly with it for two years and now i still use it every day for my small accounts. i love them because they are light, simple powerful machines and will last forever.
  9. Camelot Gardens Uk

Camelot Gardens Uk LawnSite Member

It's all we run GVX120 or 536QXE

honda 536.jpg
  10. all degree

all degree LawnSite Senior Member

Rick I know what your thinking and I am the same way. I always buy top of the line stuff. My first question is usually is there a better model.

Why spend $600 on a push mower when you can spend $169. I use the 21 on two or three backyards a week so its worth it for me. I guess if a 21 is you main mower I would not do it.