21 inch residential mower ?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Skeelow, Nov 27, 2006.

1. Skeelow

Skeelow LawnSite Member

I see that most guys carry a 21 inch on their trailer. I am parttime and will stay that way due to having a full time job. I am looking at only 7 accounts next year and won't go pass 10.

My questions are

1. Do I need a 21 inch on my trailer since I'm using a 36?

2. Can I get by with a residential 21 inch mower as a backup?

I don't think I can justify spending $800 to $1000 on a commercial grade 21 inch with only 7 accounts. And I bought the service parts package for my 36 so I can quickly be up and running but hopefully won't be using it soon due to my 36 being new and having less than 5 hours on it going into next season.

3. Would a residential troybilt 21 with a honda engine work $239.00 since it will only see approx. less than an hour a week since the 36 will handle most everything.

I know commercial is the way to go but I'm staying partime.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

2. VMcNeill

VMcNeill LawnSite Member

My dad had a lawn mowing company for 17 years before retiring back in 2002. The 21" machines that we used during all but the last three years(dad bought a commercial honda back in 1999) were residential quality. In general the average MTD mower that we got from Sam's Club(around $200) lasted about 12-24 months or around 500-1500 hours. Keep in mind that we changed the oil and air filter once a week, tied them up in the trailer and generally took good care of them. Do those things and your 21" Troy Bilt will last for years.

3. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

i have been very happy with my john deere from lowes, i got it for 279.00, it was on clearence because it was a display model, it cuts nice, and its very fast which i like.

4. Clear-Cut

Clear-Cut LawnSite Senior Member

i hav a 21 inch craftsman and i have been using it to cut 10-13 accounts weekly for about 32 weeks and its still running strong

5. JRS Landscaping

JRS Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

i have a 21 snapper for where the 32 dont fit

6. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

$399 home depot honda three speed mower, take care of it, and itll last a longgg time

7. RICHIE K

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

8. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

I use a 21" alot on ditch banks were I don't want to use a trimmer, seems alot faster sometimes

9. Tom c.

Tom c. LawnSite Member

I got a 21in toro personal pace it was a return at H-D I was cutting 3-4 then 6-7 lawns weekly broke a cable last year while working, ran put grabbed a honda also in the return section of H-D. I keep a 21 on the trailer all the time still use it on small gated yrds. The toro is still going after 5+ yrs!!

10. paul vroom

paul vroom LawnSite Senior Member

How about a commercial grade used mower?