21" mower choice?Snapper?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bntt68, Jun 2, 2006.

1. bntt68

bntt68 LawnSite Senior Member

I need to pick up another 21" mower for a couple of ditchs and hillsides. Snapper seems to be the best built for under 500.00 . Does anyone have any good points or bad about them? Let me know what you would buy if you had to for under 500.00 and why. Thanks a bunch. I do not bag. Only on cleanups. Primarily mulch only.Thanks again all!!!!
  2. Husky03

Husky03 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a John Deere JS63 that I paid $500 for. It could be a little more durable, and if I got another mower I wouldn't get a Briggs but it cuts beautifuly.
  3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

If you are on ditches and hills a two wheel drive like Honda might be a better bet. Snapper is a good unit but it is single wheel drive which is very good for turning but not so good on hills.
  4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

For hills you also want a unit with full pressure lubrication, it wont starve the motor of oil while on those steep inclines.
  5. T. Wheeler

T. Wheeler LawnSite Member

Snapper does make quality units, thats all we use ZTR/ WBs/ and Push. But the 21inchers are one wheel drive but like edhess said 2 wheel drive might be better for hills.
  6. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

i have had the same 2 hondas for 2 years now and they dont miss a beat .you have to fork out that little bit extra for quality
  7. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

try one on a hill-useless!
  8. bntt68

I dont understand the one wheel drive? The rear wheels are attached to an one axle . The drive system connects to that axle. Right? Wouldnt that drive both wheels? Thank again all !!!
  9. bntt68

Snapper has two different drives. I am looking at the disc drive.
  10. T. Wheeler

T. Wheeler LawnSite Member

Thats what we have. They work well. Ill see if I can get some pics.