21" Mower? Exmark / Honda ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kona, Apr 10, 2002.

1. kona

kona LawnSite Member

I am looking at 21" mowers for trimming and smaller gated yards. I want a good , reliable one. I am looking at the EXMARK 21" ( which is a Toro) and the HONDA- commercial ? Which is better? Any one used these? THANKS

2. MuskTurfKing

MuskTurfKing LawnSite Senior Member

I think whatever you buy will be a good mower and will serve you great over many years, it's all a matter of price, dealer, and how YOU like the product, go to a dealer and check em out.

Hank

3. If you want to mulch go toro, if you bagg a lot go honda

4. Turfer

Turfer LawnSite Member

I have the harmony model Honda. I have heard allot of good things about the commercial Honda but mine gives a terrible cut. I have tried different blade combinations, mulching, bagging, discharging and I always get standing grass after I cut. Yes the deck is even and clean and the blades are sharp and I go real slow but I always get the same results - poor quality cut !!

5. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

I would go with the toro since it has the grass kickers under the deck and you can choose from different engine options. The exmark cost almost $250 more than what i buy my 21 proline with 2 cycle suzukis. I have a honda push that is older. You can't kill either of these engines. The body on the honda is almost gone though. Get this the oil for the honda turns green/blue after a few hours use every time, i dont get it. For bagging the honda i feel is harder to put the bag on and can take longer to empty. I have been using toros for at least 7 years and am so used to them i can do it blindfolded. I love my toros.

6. AK Lawn

AK Lawn LawnSite Member

Honda commercial is the only way to go, i have used toros in the past and they fell apart quick, i have 5 21" honda commercials and they are bullet proof, yes the toro would seem better for multching but the honda commercial offers an excellent cut not to mention the bagging system is great and quick , they did remodel it over the years, as stated before was more difficult in past years but are great now, and just to reinforce what was stated before, the harmony is junk ,but yet you get what you pay for, and the honda commercial is $1000, so good luck w/ your purchase
    AK Lawn

7. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

If you can try a JX85 John Deere. Other wise I would stick with the Toro.
    Have you ever tried to buy parts even an air filter for a Honda?? Mucho $$

8. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

I enjoy my 21" Toro Proline very much. Mulches great, moves quickly and is a good bagger when the need arises. The only drawback I see is side discharging (not very good) and the bag is too big to empty directly into a garbage bag. Otherwise it has been a reliable and dependable performer. Wonderful unit

9. Shadetree Ltd

Shadetree Ltd LawnSite Senior Member

Funny, different strokes for different folks, I just got rid of all my 21" Hondas for 21" Toro's. The Hondas were nickle and diming me to death and the were all less than 3 years old. The Honda's are hands down the better mower when bagging or when it is wet out, but the Toro's is significantly faster and even when bagging reduces your collected clippings by a lot. So far I am happy with the switch over.

Scott

10. longslawn

longslawn LawnSite Member

Try the John Deere. I have 5 21" mowers and the cut is excellent on all. I bag with them most of the time and they do great. They also mulch OK.