21" Mower - Has Anyone Used.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RB, Feb 13, 2001.

1. RB

RB LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering if anyone has ever tried the 21" Landscapers Supply Commercial Push Mower w/metal rear bag and 5.5 Honda engine?

We use 21" mowers a lot (Lawnboy Commercial Duty w/side bags) and I'm happy with them, but, maybe I'm just used to them.

I'd like to know if the landscapers supply mower:

1. Vacuums and bags as well as my mower?
    2. Are the handles stiff?
    3. Will they mow tall grass in spring?

To me they look fine, but I've never seen anyone use them, or others like them, e.g., ransomes, tru-cut, or sensation.

They are only $549.99, which is about $200 cheaper than a commercial duty lawnboy.

What do you think?

thank you very much.

Ron

2. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

I have always used the Snapper commercials with Robin 2cycle, But this last yr i purchased a Toro 21 Proline with the 2cycle suzuki. But i don't like the cut as well and the bagging system is not as good as the snapper.Also don't care for the wheel adjustments cost me 922 dollars. I wish now i would have got another snapper,and saved the 200 dollar diff. I see several guys useing the lawnboys. But never seen the other brand you were talking about. Marks Mowing Service

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Isn't it interesting the curiosity of the Landscapers equipement lately? I didn't even know they had a 21". Its hard to imagine anyone getting a 21" wrong.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I would think the same thing would apply to this as the bigger mowers. Why risk it? If we know what the major brands will do, and the service we can expect from them, why not just stick with them? Myself, my trim mowers are Snapper, but they aren't the commercial grade. They are the little 19" high vac cut with the 3.5 horse 2 cycle Tecumseh engine. These were bought back in about 1983-84, and are STILL going strong! At the time they were the (and probably still are) the lightest weight mower you could operate. I loved the solid handles for pivoting, and they were a breeze lifting them up and down to use. I can still hear the ladies voice at the shop where I purchased these saying; "If you're cutting commercially, these aren't the mowers you want." I remember telling her that I saw these mowers run for 60 hours a week for atleast an entire season with the company I used to work for. I knew better. Now, I realize that these aren't built like commercial mowers, but they don't have all the weight to them either. Let alone the cost.

5. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

I use to buy the 21" Toro commercial 2 cycles, but it got harded to justfy nearly $1000.00 for a 21" cut that you may only use a couple of hours a day. Two years ago I bought a Toro Personal Pace (with the aluminum deck)to try out, my crews loved it, lighter than the commercial, and they said it's ground speed was faster. The differences between the machines; PPace- change oil a couple times a week; original wheels wear out quick, just replace with commercial wheels; weld handles where they meet. Other than those adjustments I love them, I bought 3 more three weeks ago, and at half the price of the commercial 21".

6. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

As far as 21" go I say buy cheap and toss out. I can't see paying $1000 for a 21" either. I bought a 21" cheapo at lowes (under $100) one day when my toro died on me and I needed to finish out the day. It basically paid for itself that day and it did a good job cutting. Now I use that same mower more than my toro it's lighter to lift in and out of the truck, i don't worry about it terring up, and it still has the same oil in it as the day I bought it 3 years ago. All i do is keep the blades sharp and keep gas in it. When it dies I'll probable just buy another one just like it.

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

With the small trim mowers I try to use whatever someone will give me. The year before last it was a 18" Crapsman, last year it was a 21" Murray (that still runs, wanna buy it?). Just yesterday I picked up a Lawn Boy 21 Gold Series self-propelled mower that one of my customers had in their shed. They had left the gas in it from the last time they used it which was at least 4 years ago and the carb is totally gummed up. When I got it home I put it in the shop and a mouse came running out of it. The cat is presently taking care of the mouse and I am taking care of the carb. Here Kitty, Kitty, Kitty. Daddy's got lunch for you. Heh heh.

8. Hello Everybody:

Snappers are reasonably priced, easy to work on & everybody gots parts for Snappers. BUTT....

Then we stepped up, got it over with & bought a Honda. The only 21" mower I would buy & only one I would cut my residence with. I'm a Power Equipment Dealer & I can get any I want at a good price. If the 21" Honda cost $1,500 I would still buy it.

I know not many cut in the rain, but sooner or later the rain monster gets you. The Honda will cut wet grass, bag wet grass in the rain & almost impossible to clog up!

Since I had my heat stroke, I hold out if possible & if it looks like it's going to rain, I'll fire up the mower. But rain has been rare in JawJa the past few years.

Sometimes we had a few special lawns we did, that was out of the way, nobody could see us, the customers didn't mind & we had extra time. LOL, we would cut on the sprinklers & cut it. It took longer because we had to do it arse backwards as far as maintaining. The guys really liked that, just got to watch those heads. :)

9. Turfcouncil

Turfcouncil LawnSite Member

I would have to say that my honda 21" has been pretty much bullet proof. I have ALOT of problems with it clooging with wet lawns. if it is dry the mower works its best. My snapper does a good job too but i miss the blade clutch that the honda has. YOu only have to start it once and not every time you empty the bag or go over objects like hoses and etc.

10. Hello Everybody:

Clogging is very unusual on the Hondas, have you had the RPM's & Govenor checked lately?

The main reason we liked the Honda was the BBC & it not clogging. Ofcouse they have the Best Engine Too!