21" Mower - Honda or Exmark Metro?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kona, Feb 4, 2002.

1. kona

kona LawnSite Member

Anyone used the Exmark Metro? comments please!! Good or bad.
    I am looking to get a 21" for trimming and can't decide between Honda or an EXmark metro. Thanks!!!

2. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

the toro commercial 21 is the same as the exmark metro except with more engine options. Last time i checked prices are the same, might want to check with toro. The other engines on the toro besides the 6hsp kawaski has a larger gas tank with easier filling opening. The 2cycles are almost maitnence free and them mowers are bullet proof.

3. big james

big james Banned
    from texas

Don't laugh when I say Snapper but I have used their commercial 21's for several years now and I have no complaint whatsoever

4. Andy Miller

Andy Miller LawnSite Member

Any comments about the John Deere GX85 commerical. I looked at one and it looks pretty good. The Honda commerical is more money. Dealer priced the John Deere at $949. I was also very impressed with the 2-cycle Toro. Toro did not have as durable wheels.

5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Andy Miller,
    I have been using the JD, JX85 and the JX75(homeowner version), for years I love everything about these mowers except the 5 speed transmissions. The trans. are crap ,I never get one that lasts until the warranty is out, (1 year). Then we lose trans. about every year in each mower. Cut is great, mulches great, engine is great, so I put up with them. I really like the blade clutch, it is easy to engage and is a great safety feature. You can stop to pick up trash, or empty a catcher bag without killing the engine. I have gone back to the JX75 mostly, as it is the same mower, but without the metal wheels, oil filter, and a couple of other minor bolt on items. You can always replace the plastic wheels with metal ones when they wear out. I swap parts from worn out 85's onto 75's all the time. All the parts are interchangeable.:D

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I have never used a eXmark 21" nor do I know anyone that has one. But I have a Honda 21" comm'l that was bought new in 1984 that has many many hours on it. It still runs like a champ. A few oil changes, air filters and a few blades are all this mower has ever had.

7. jack D.

jack D. Banned

Exmark 21" is a Toro with Exmark paint. Get a LB if you want to side discharge.

8. jason2

jason2 LawnSite Member

I own both a Exmark Metro "21, and a consumer grade Honda 21". The Metro is built like a tank, but doesn't cut as nice as the Honda. The Honda cuts nice, but won't stand the abuse it gets in the commercial world. Broken wheel bolts, handle falling apart, tranny lever fell off somewhere during transport, etc...

The next 21 I will buy is the Honda commercial. Same great cut but built for commercial duty.

9. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

When I started 3 seasons ago I bought the Toro Pro-Line 21" w the 4.5 Suzuki 2 cycle. I paid $899.00 + tax. Now that I have a ZTR it doesn't get used much. Since a TOTAL rebuild from Toro under warrenty it only gets used maybe an hour a week. I would NEVER spend that much $$$$$$ for a trim mower. When this one takes a dump it will be REPLACED with a LawnBoy 21" self-propelled 2 stroke for about $400.00. Can't see spending a GRAND for a TRIM MOWER. Those EXTRA $$$$$ can be spent more wisely. JMHO.

Mowman