21" mower vs 32" scag.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Kaskov, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Kaskov

Kaskov LawnSite Member

OK here's the dilema. I have a guy who works for me that I just do not trust with using a scag, (He's a hard worker but I'm afraid he'll lose control of the thing). I have him just pushing the 21" mower while I use the scag and weed whack, trim etc...
    Here's the question, the both of us can get about 22 houses done in a day with just me and him (about 9.5 hrs). I plan on buying another 21" mower and having his brother use that one.
    SO if me and him can do 22 houses in one day, how many houses do you guys think I could get done with the 2 guys using a 21" mower each and myself using the 32" scag and trimming. Would I be wrong to estimate 32 houses in a day?
    By the way I know this is not a wise move but I only could work 2 days out of the week, and it's really hard to get an experienced guy who you only give 2 days of work to a week, so I have to do what I can with what I have.

Thanks for any input
  2. onthesidelawncare

onthesidelawncare LawnSite Member
    from Jax. FL

I have not been in the business long, but if you want another mower that has a great cut, and is easy to handle that is bigger than a 21. I would go with the quick 36 it is easy to handle and you could get more done faster. If you were on the scag the other guys could get the mowing done faster with the 36 and do the trimming so you dont have to. Just a suggestion I have a quick 36 and even someone whom has never used a walk behind can control it.
  3. Howie's Lawn Care

Howie's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I think your hourly profit will definetley go down. You'll have the same travel time, but a new piece of equipment producing minimal results and requiring more man hours of pay to operate. Unless you're mowing some pretty large areas, I don't think its worth adding another person. I may have missed something in the post and apoligize if I didn't take into account all the circumstances, but I'm in a hurry. I hope this opinion helps.

-Nick Howard
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I am puzzled why you need another unit, two guys mow and one trim and blow off. And if the mow guys get done first then they blow off and/finish trimming.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Backup mower.
  6. jpsquared

jpsquared LawnSite Member

Teach him how to use the w/b, he has to learn sometime. If you can afford another w/b then get one he can use (after your sure he can handle it). If you can't then you can trim and blow while he mows or the other way around.
  7. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

If you can work a larger walkbehind mower in the yards I would go that route. Buying another 21'' mower and having to do paper work for a 3rd employee, doesnt sound right to me. By your post it seems you do the trimming also, does the employee blow the sidewalks off? Dont take this the wrong way, but if he cant operate the scag and you do the trimming and he only pushes a 21'' mower, is he that good or I should say that valuable of an employee?

8. Kaskov

Kaskov LawnSite Member

ED2hess I explained that I can't let the other 2 guys use the scag. I'm aware it's smarter to have 2 guys mow and the other trim. That's what I plan on doing but with them using the 21's while I trim and sometimes all of us will mow at the same time because I have 8 houses on 1 block.
    The overall reason I need another unit is I want to get more houses done in 1 day. If I could do 22 houses with me and another guy, I figured if I could do 10 more in the same day I would profit roughly $140 more in the same day after paying the second guy.
    Does that make more sense?
  9. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

If you are getting 22 houses done in one day then that is pretty darn good for a 2 man crew. I would leave well enough alone. Another 21 is not really going to speed you up all that much, think about it. Lets assume the 21's are cutting the back gated piece of property while you and the scag do the front. The 21 guys finish mowing and you are only 1/2 way done with the 32. Sounds to me like you are the one that trims so the other 2 just sit in the truck until you are finished then blow off? Fairly unproductive in my book. Timing is key in this field. Now if right now the both of you are finishing your tasks at around the same time then this is good. You are currently productive and really dont need another guy. Also, another 10 lawns per day probably wont happen. Right now, you are finishing a lawn every 25 minutes doing 22 lawns / 9.5 hours. If you want to do 32 lawns in 9.5 hours that is 17 minutes per lawn plus travel time. Stick with 2 man crew for now.
  10. bullethead

bullethead LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

First question - would the #1 employee (with the right training) ultimately be able to run a crew? If yes, then add the second guy and work on more training with ee #1. If no, then the second guy you hire should possess the raw talent to ultimately run a crew. If you want to build a business, you will ultimately have to add employees, train them and turn the keys over to them. Good luck. And yes, 32 yards/day with a 3 man crew is possible if the routing is tight and the employees are properly trained. Good luck, I think you are on the right track, personally.