21" mower Which one? Picking 1 up tomorrow

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jray3369, Apr 25, 2007.

1. jray3369

jray3369 LawnSite Member

Its been brought up before and i have read till 2001 but thats old.
    Im looking for hill, bagging, stripes. I need one tomorrow!

I have a $500 limit. Its for two small yards and my mtd push doesnt bag.

Looking at cub cadet CC 989

http://www.cubcadet.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_14101_89413_33831_-1

or

Craftsman 37704

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Lawn+Mowers&pid=07137704000&vertical=LAWN&subcat=Rear+Bag+Mowers&BV_SessionID=@@@@0171334544.1177532681@@@@&BV_EngineID=cchcaddkkhkmdlecefecemldffidfmm.0

They craftsman has $50 more off because they have a used one (used once) and it has BBC, the cub has high mount bag and swivel front wheels.

Help, im getting one tomarrow.

2. THRIFTY

THRIFTY LawnSite Member
    from (913)

You get what you pay for, buy a Honda commercial 21'' and never have to buy another 21'' again!

3. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

honda hrc 216 or exmark/toro 21 or exmark 26 or pay again in two or less years. I bought a honda 5 years ago for 1050 and sold this year for 650. total cost to me is 400 for 5 years. you figure the crapsman will cost you at least 300 and get maybe 25 in a year or two. good luck. you get what you pay for.

4. P&C Lawn Care

P&C Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Honda Exmark or Toro commercial mower will last you longer and be more productive. Toro has some nice financing right now.

5. jray3369

jray3369 LawnSite Member

Im kind of in the catagory that if you cant ride it or trimm it dont do it, but these are people that are friends so to speak. They have chem lawn come and there yard is so small i can mow them both and catch them in three bags with the push mower. I would be mowing these 2 yards all summer just to pay off that commercial 21"

The two mowers i listed have honda engiens or is that not the same. And the craftsman has a 3yr service plan for like $50 I predict this mower to get maybe 40 hrs a year.

Everything i have is commercial grade so i see where your comming from but im looking at how offten its going to get used, im not going to pick up more yards because i get a commercial 21" mower, its just for these yards. BUT i do not want the cheapes one around because yes you do get what you pay for Hints the $599 price tag

6. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I love these threads, guy asks a simple question about a mower and everyone either says spend twice what your price limit is or don't do the lawn because you can't get a 72" Z on it. Hilarious to say the least.

For $500, you're not going to get much of a mower and chances are it will fall apart within a year or two. If you're ready to deal with that reality and come to grips with the fact that it may even fall apart next week, by all means buy a $500 mower. At this price range, they're all about the same, let's not get over technical. I'd recommend something from Honda, I know they have a unit in the $500 range.

7. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Scag48 is on the money! For that little bit of money (expensive for the homeowner, cheap for what we do) get a Honda. Its probably your safest bet. I have a 21" Honda HR215...granted it is an 800 dollar mower...but its getting up there in age and starts on the first pull every time.

At the same time...I get why he doesnt want to spend alot of money on a 21...I very rarely pull mine off the trailer...and it sounds like he wont be either.

8. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

These threads also make me laugh, I would the recomend the cub cadet I had a different one and it worked great until it fell of my trailer and broke.

9. Mark in MD

Mark in MD LawnSite Senior Member

Get a USED commercial 21" mower. Problem solved.

10. jray3369

jray3369 LawnSite Member

Honda 1

or

Honda 2

This i the most i can do. I would be getting like $70 off there listed prices. Still not commercial i know. Jordan