1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

21" mower

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Scag413, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Scag413

Scag413 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey, This site is awesome! I am 16 years old and mow 10 yards. I have 2004 Scag Tiger Cub w/a 19hp Kawasaki and a 48" advantage deck. I will be looking for a 21" push mower, or at least a newer one than my Dad`s 15 year old 2-stroke snapper come this spring. I have some steep banks, but it will also be used for trimming. I need one that can mow quickly because I play baseball and am very pushed for time. I just wondered what u guys would suggest? I have looked at a homeowners Toro personal pace 22" model with electric start and self propelled for $400, is that a good mower or should I spend the money for a commercial grade model? If so what brand and model and possibly a price range if you know. Sorry for so many questions! You guys are awesome! Thanks so much!
  2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Ariens has a nice commercial grade unit out that has recently been discussed here. Might try a search but it has a kawi engine on it and a nice solid frame. Has gotten good reviews on here and the best part is it costs ~600 bux.
  3. Leroy's Lawns

Leroy's Lawns LawnSite Member
    from NY

21" I use the Toro Prolines. Has a Kaw or Honda engine. The Suzuki engine was best but gone now. Good solid mower.
  4. Imran-Ali

Imran-Ali LawnSite Member

Hey How are you doing. how does you scag tiger cub runs. I am thinking about buying one in the spring 52" 23 HP do you think. will it will fit on a 5'x10 and how much did you 48" 19HP cost you
  5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I stopped playing baseball mainly because of by business. I am 15 and i have 22 lawns. New honda harmony II, single speed self propelled, mulch or bag, $400, better IMO than the toro personal pace mowers.
  6. Scag413

Scag413 LawnSite Bronze Member

My Scag Tiger Cub runs awesome! It is so compact so it can mow the smaller yards in town, but has a forward ground speeds of 10.5 mph to mow the big properties in no time! My Tiger Cub will fit on a 5x10 as long as the chute is up it fits easily. My Dad has a John Deere GT235 with a 54" deck which is a tight fit, but it will. Once again the chute is up. You should have no problem putting a 52" Tiger Cub on a 5x10 trailer. Oh, by the way our trailer is a tilt, if you are looking to buy one, buy one with a gate much easier to use. I bought my Tiger Cub used from the original owner with a mulch plate, eliminator blades, and it only had 53hrs. on it for $4,650. It also has a warranty through April. In 2005 a Tiger Cub like mine cost $6,300 from my local dealer. A 52" 23hp kaw. I priced at $8,400. I hope I have help you out. If you want to contact me through email mine is cardinalbaseball_08@hotmail.com. I would definitely recommend a Scag Tiger Cub, actually any Scag for that matter. Good luck!
  7. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

At 10 yards I wouldn't push for a commercial yet. How big do you plan tpo grow and how much you will use it will determine the price. If its a trim mower I can't see blowing a grand on a commercail unit at your stage. If its primarily a trim mower then buy a good used unit and expect to replace engine in your budget. If you're bagging a lot with it I'd check to see if you can get a replacement catcher first before buying a used one. You can generally find blades and wheel replacements but catchers are not always quite so easy.