21" Mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by turfman33, Jun 28, 2002.

1. turfman33

turfman33 LawnSite Member

Hi,

I have a 21" Honda Commercial mower and don't like it one bit. For cutting St Augustine it just isn't high enough. It's scalping and the engine is stopping with grass clog up. Even though I have just cut half way over the uncut grass and even a quarter. So, I'm looking for another 21" Commercial. I need one that will cut higher and not cut out on me. I find it a little crazy that the Honda only has a 5 HP. I need something with some power, self propelled and that isn't going to make more work for me like the Honda is doing.

Thanks a lot as always

Steve

2. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

Why not just get a Walk Behing such as a Toro or an Exmark? If you have to consider money, I would get a Toro.

3. turfman33

turfman33 LawnSite Member

RVLI,
    I have a walk behind 36" But I have some lawns that I need to cut with the 21".

Thanks for the comment

Steve

4. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

I figured that. Then get either a Lawn Boy Gold Series, or if you don't like mixing oil with gas all the time, get a Toro.

5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I had a 21" Honda once and had the same problem, the engine is gutless when in heavy mulching conditions, like thick St. Augustine.I replaced it with a JD JX75.
    I suggest you get a JD JX75 mower. This has the Kawasaki engine and is one tough mower. Have the dealer turn up the rpm's to the max. recommended by JD. They usually are not set up to turn full speed when you buy them. When turned up, they will plow through the toughest mulching conditions you will ever find. The JX 85 is the same mower, but with some commercial add-ons like steel wheels. It really is not worth the extra money.I currently run 4 of these JD mowers and my crews will not use anything else.:)