21" Mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Grass King, Jan 16, 2004.

1. Grass King

Grass King LawnSite Member

Newbie to Lawn Care. I,m in the market of buying a 21" Commercial push mower. From the opinions of the professional, which is the best. Money is no object.

ps: Did a search, didn't find a good answer.

Ray

2. Brian Taylor

Brian Taylor LawnSite Member

Take a look at a Honda 216 with a hydrostatic transmission. The mower is heavy and runs about 1000 bucks but has a great cut and you can't find a better engine for a 21 incher than a Honda. The clutch for the blade is nice also. We have other 21 inch mowers but when the rare occasion that we have to get off of the Z to do a backyard the Honda makes the chore a little easier.

3. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

Hey grass king.
    I am in the same boat.
    Just for some background, I use only a 21" mower, so I had to look into what I could afford right now, and use until I can move up.
    I did some searching, and found a deal on a Toro. Unfortunately, it is not commercial grade, but a big step up of what I was using.
    I will see how it treats me this season.
    Looking forward to using it.
    I picked up the Toro recycler 20016 for $150, so I really wouldn't be losing much if I get a year out of it.
    I am still very small, with less than 10 yards per week, but learning as I go.

Ok, so up until now, I have not been much help, sorry...

Going for a commercial 21" was hard for me to justify. i will go commercial grade when I move up to a 32" or 36", but for 21", I figure I'll use it until it goes, then replace for cheaper than buying a commercial grade one. I know commercial grade will outlast, but I had to weigh the duration I planned on using it, versus the cost, versus the budget.

4. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

HaHaHa!

I'll ditto the Honda, Toro is truly a good mower also.

Don't know what keywords you used in searching, there are almost as many threads on 21" mowers as there are "How do you sharpen blade" threads.

5. Grass King

Rustic Goat,

I know their are a lot of post on the 21" mowers. But who has the time to read all the 30,000 post when I should be doing my work at my full time job. I only do lawn care part time, but hope to do it full time in the spring.

6. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Honda or the eXmark metro 21"

7. 4734

4734 LawnSite Member
    from Houston

Last Sept. I bought a Honda HRC216HXA 21" mower. Its' 5.5 hp, bbc, and hydro trans. It starts easy, plenty of hp., smooth transmission, ball bearing aluminum wheels, heavy steel deck that you can bag with or mulch.Yes it is a heavy mower 126lbs. but I don't pick it up.

I bought the mulch kit which comes with a deck plug and a second blade that you put above the origional blade.

The mower mulches grass great and I have used to to mulch leaves several times.
    Yes, it is expensive at $1,000. but you get what you pay for and this is a great mower.
    Would I buy one again?...in a heartbeat.

8. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Honda is too heavy IMO & doesn't mulch nearly as well as a Toro Proline or bag as well as a Lawnboy w/side bag.

I would stick w/2 stroke engines on the 21"'s while they are still avail..

9. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

If money is no object why not go ahead and buy a 36" or 48" Commercial walkbehind, and be more productive

10. Grass King

Have a 61" Turf Tiger and 36" Lesco walkbehind, Need 21" for gated back yards.