1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

21" mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MikeMaupin, Feb 4, 2004.

1. MikeMaupin

MikeMaupin LawnSite Member

I was wondering what you thought about the Cub Cadet commercial grade mower with castor wheels and 6.5 kaw eng. would you recommend this mower and are the castor wheels better than fixed or would the fixed wheels be better ?
  2. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Haven't used a caster wheel mower, but I would think it might make keeping to a straight line a little harder, especially on hills. I've never had a problem just lifting the front wheels to turn.
  3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Does it mulch, bag, side bag or rear bag? I feel the front castors on those are just for show.
  4. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Mike , if you are willing to pay 500+ for a 21" push mower, add a little more and get yourself a used32-36" belt drive, unless you really need a 21" specifically for certain properties. You will be OK with the Kawasaki motor, as far as the mower itself, I don't really know..I don't trust equipment from Lowe's,Home Depot, etc....
  5. MikeMaupin

MikeMaupin LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help and replies.I dont know why, if its something I said in my first post or what, but it seems that I dont get much help here so thanks again for the replies, and good luck this season.
  6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

One of the reasons why you probably didn't get much response is that a lot of people here either don't use 21" mowers or don't use them much.

For your original question, I don't know much about the quality of the Cub 21". The Kawi motor is pretty good. There are a few other brands of 21" I would look at before I bought the Cub. Toro, eXmark, Lawnboy, Honda, Gravely, etc.
  7. i agree about the lines not being as straight. I used (didnt mow for a long time) a friends johndeere (same as the cub i believe), I wasnt impressed. I can lift the front of the mower, and my toros are a lot faster. I guess if you had a lot of landscaping to mow around it woudl be ok. But on hills you would have to lock them back in.
  8. wildbilly1113

wildbilly1113 LawnSite Member

That push mower was the worst one I ever bought! Tranny,motor,drive system problems! Also had real bad luck with Ariens.Was going to buy Honda but my dealer said he has 3 times as many Ariens cutting commercialy as Honda at a lower purchace price! My dealer is Amish and I trust him but I say go with Honda or Toro. IMO
  9. fishnetman

fishnetman LawnSite Member

I'm buying a new 21"next month and have been doing a lot of research,I am pretty much sold on the JD jx75.Iwas thinking about their caster wheel model but changed my mind.The JX75 has alum.deck,BBC,5 speeds, kawi motor with full presure lubrication,rear bag,mulch option and even a optional thacher.You can also get an oil filter installed.If this is going to be your primary mower take a look at the JX75.
  10. LawnPerfect

LawnPerfect LawnSite Senior Member

I use a 21" all the time. Many of my customers have landscaping that requires it. Im not crazy about using a 21" but like I said, I have to.
    I tried out the castor wheeled John Deere, I loved the cut but hated the castors. Like mentioned above, the castors can become a pain when going up hill, or just trying to keep a straight line. So I went with the standard wheeled model. Of course it is John Deere.