21" mowers....drive systems

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by buttaluv, Sep 18, 2003.

1. buttaluv

buttaluv LawnSite Senior Member
    from MidWest

I know the question about which 21" mower has been beat to death, but I haven't seen much discussion about the drive systems of the 21", which is better and why? which is cheapest to repair? etc., I know that snapper is expensive to repair, I've been doing it all summer, I have the 26" w/b..as far as I'm concerned after this year, these things are a p.o.s... I don't have any issues with the mower except the drive system. I have a friend who has a toro, he's had trouble, a friend with a cub (I know a cheaper unit but...) he's had trouble. It seems like this is the thing that should be looked at when purchasing one of these babies... thanks guys

2. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Go Ariens. The drive system is a wheel in contact witha pulley which allows for an infinte amount of ground speed adjustment.

3. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Try a honda commercial and you will never change a drive belt again.

4. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

Toro Proline 21" BBC - General maintenance of recoil ropes and drive tire change (tread gone) have had to replace the small drive gear in one of the rear drive wheels and that is it, HD 3 speed transmission is really tough, squeeze the bail and GO.
    BobR

5. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

The Ariens system is just like Snappers design, only harder to work on. I think the Honda Hydro is the way to go if you dont like the other trannies