21" mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bdboss, Aug 14, 2006.

1. bdboss

bdboss LawnSite Member

I am sure this has been hashed around a million times, but. I am looking for a good replacement for commercial self propelled lawnboys only used to bag. Primarily on banks and small rear yards....oil pressure is a factor...what is every ones thoughts? I am looking at toro/exmark or Snapper. Thanks for the help...also are the new Lawnboys any good? I have 10 older 2 cycle ones that we use every day and would hate to move on but.....

2. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

If you're going to bag, Honda is best bagging 21-Inch mower, bar none. Heavy, Wet conditions, you name it the Honda will bag it.

3. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

Problem with the Snapper is that it has problems on hills with the selfpropelled. It is a great bagger but on hill you will have a problem.

4. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

5. TheLawnBarber

TheLawnBarber LawnSite Senior Member

I use two Honda commecial Hrc216Hxas mowers. Unstoppable!!!!

6. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

Is a Gravely dealer near you?
    They make a commercial 21"er that has a Honda comm. engine.

7. bdboss

bdboss LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the info....I am really leaning towards the Toro....if it was only not so heavy

8. newtex

newtex LawnSite Member

Stay away from the Snapper. I have had nothing but problems with mine since I purchased it in April.

9. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

bdboss,

Toro is a very good mower as well. Both Honda and Toro are on the heavy side. The Toro bags well to, but in wet conditions you're lucky if the bag will fill half way.I'm referring to the Toro proline old style, I have no experience with the new bagging mower. I will make one comment on the new bagging mower, looking at the specs they equipped the mower with a two bushel bag. It seems strange Toro would outfit a dedicated bagging machine with just a two bushel bag capacity.

10. ucankissmygrass

ucankissmygrass LawnSite Member

I hate my snapper 21. I just paid more than a grand based upon many positive comments on this board. The Ninja mulch blades are a joke. They mulch well overall and the clippings bag OK, but I have to mow everything 3 times to eliminate stragglers leaving wheel marks and funky looking cut grass in the wake of this POS. Even the bagging on this bagging wunderkind mower was not great. I have been told they suck up a quarter from the driveway???

I was more impressed with my $150 dollar Home Depot side discharge MTD push mower I had for ten years until someone else stole it. It weighed 50 pounds, and cut like a dream compared to this total POS.

Honestly, the lawn looks better with a mower that can be found used everyday for $50. Thanks a lot Snapper. I am going to see if my dealer will help me get out of this nightmare help me find a way to return it. Noone even wants to buy it on local CL site. I'll make a sweet deal on this unit used for 2 hours to one of the Snapper lovers out there(no offense intended, to each their own mower I guess)