21" mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by iluvbermuda, Dec 4, 2003.

1. iluvbermuda

iluvbermuda LawnSite Member
    from S/E TN

For those of you who use 21" mowers, especially who use them exclusively(Iknow only a few do), do you mulch, side discharge, or bag?

2. i dont use them exclusive but i do have fensed lawns i cant get a 36 in.
    In fast spring growth with a toro proline sometimes i bag.
    85% of the time i mulch and the toro proline excells at mulching.

3. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

I use a 21 on about 60 % of my gated yards. Im looking at a Lawn Boy gold pro as Ive had enough of my toros breaking down (old mower) all the time, so its time to try something new.

4. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

I have 3 push mow yds(very small) last yr,had about 6.I discharge mostly,but I have been bagin some thick rye the last couple weeks.Its hard to mulch thick stuff,it takes up all your hp.I have 2 jds,one is 6.5 the other 6.75hp.I too,lay some nice stripes like Odin00.

5. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I use a Toro ProLine (5.5 Suzuki engine) now, replacing a LawnBoy commercial mower a couple of years ago. Actually, the LB is now a second mower, used as a backup, and on lawns where I want the best result.

Most of the mowing requires bagging. I do some mulching where I can. But, I do no discharge. Why? The answer is pretty simple: The Toro doesn't do discharge worth a hoot, and the LB is marginal, at best.

I have places where I would use discharge for the Toro, IF it worked. I end up bagging because there are too many clippings to mulch.

I see some homeowners with a Troy-Built (also marketed by International Cub) that does well for discharge. It is not a mower for general commercial use, but certainly does a superior job for discharge than either commercial machine.

Most likely I will get a new hand mower before next season, and it will be a LB.
    I'm disappointed that the commercial market is void of a good discharge 21" hand mower!

6. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I use the Honda HRC 216 5.5 hp
    I bag during the wet times of the year say late nov- march. After that I mulch everything. If it can't be mulched it means I am not cutting it enough. Stripes very good with the highlift blade, otherwise it still cuts well.

7. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

About 95% of the time when I use my Toro ProLine 21", I am mulching. When the grass gets too long and thick, I put the bag on. It does a great job either way. Have not tried discharging, but given the size and design of the chute, I would imagine it is only useful in the lightest of mowing conditions.

If you are in this for the long haul, get a Toro ProLine 21". They are without a doubt the best 21" mower.

8. When I was using 21"s I had 2 Toros. I had an older 3sp toro with the "commercial" briggs mtr. It wasn't really a commercial machine but was built reaaallly well. I picked up a personal pace for $325 and it's ok but wouldn't last long if you used it a lot.

Anyways I was ticked that I couldn't discharge and my dealer said that the little chute they put on is a waste of money.

So I invented my own chute which blows the grass/debris right on ur legs. :D Great huh? It worked though! The toro doesn't have enough power to mulch accounts that you only mow once a week. And might i add that since they didn't have great blade tip speed they didn't produce a quality cut.

9. grshppr

grshppr LawnSite Senior Member

We use John Deer JX 85's and JX 75's. We bag in spring and fall, and mulch in the summer. They don't mulch very well.

10. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Sauls, that's why pros don't use homeowner machines.;)

I have owned 3 Toro 21's and still have two of them. The ProLine and a 1995 top-of-the-line homeowner machine. I just got rid of my oldest Toro and I will agree with you, it didn't have a whole lot of power. However, that is simply not the case with the ProLine commercial 21". Give one a try and see if it won't mulch 1 weeks growth! Mine does!:D