21" Mulching Blade

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GLS, Jun 6, 2002.

1. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a John Deere JX75 21" push mower. Most of the time I bag, but occasionally I mulch. It has a mulching blade on it, but doesn't work very well. Going slow does not help much, so I have to go over it again a second time to get rid of the clippings.

I would like to try another blade or setup, but it has two bolts that go through it, rather than on on center. Here is a picture...any ideas?

2. Just Turned Pro

Just Turned Pro LawnSite Member

Im not sure about the spacing on your bolts, but it looks similar to my Hondas. The mulching kit for the Hondas adds a second narrower blade that sits on top of the lower, main cutting blade. If you have a Honda Dealer nearby you could probably just bring your mower in and see if the second blade is gonna work on your mower.
  3. If the blade is narrow enough for this to work.
    First idea would be to make a + piece of steel to hold a second blade. Drill it to attach with the current blade bolts, then use shorter bolts to attach second blade at 90.

Second idea is to get a different blade adapter that is same diameter and keyed same as your current engine. Couldn't tell from the photo if the crank is tapped, but that would make a difference if trying to switch to a 1 bolt set up.