21" non self propelled

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by iluvbermuda, Sep 26, 2004.

1. iluvbermuda

iluvbermuda LawnSite Member
    from S/E TN

I'm sick of 21" mowers that are self-propelled. Either too expensive or the tranny aint worth a crap. Whats the best one that yall like that can mulch, side discharge, and bag and is not self-prop. Commercial or non--I don't care.

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I think 21's suck too.
    I have a 2 cycle Toro and it sucks.

Personally, for just a push mower, heck I still like the little Murray 20's.
    Cheap, light, cut good, bag good, mulch good, no side discharge though.

But I must ask, what mowers have you had tranny problems with?
    I'm thinking of going with a Honda 21 next time.

3. Blueangelfightr

Blueangelfightr LawnSite Member

Trust me 21 pushes suck. Thats what I have and i'm going self propelled. I'm getting sick of pushing. Get a 4 cycle whatever you do. Actually Craftsman (what I have now) does all three pretty well.

4. iluvbermuda

iluvbermuda LawnSite Member
    from S/E TN

I have a Snapper that I have had problems with. I know guys that had problems with the Toro. JD has some belt issues. The biggest problem in my opinion when you get a Honda self-prop. is the darn weight of the thing.

5. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

After bending the crank on my High $$$ Commercial Snapper( with Kawi ) the other day.. :realmad: :realmad: , I, too have decided that I really hate 21's even more now... After I fix and sell the dang thing, If I EVER, for some bizarre, wierd reason ever need another 21, it will be the cheap 22" high wheel Bolens, Murray, or whatever is on special at Lowes etc.. Chaps my hide!! $750 for a frickin 21, with a crank so soft I could probly bend it with my hands!!! :angry:

BTW, a fella at my gravely dealer said that there is a gadget that can straighten mower cranks. Any one ever have any experience with this?? if so, please PM me and let me know how it worked etc.. I'd really apprecieate it.

6. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Toro & Honda commercial SP's Will Not Break....Don't Purchase Homeowner Junk & You'll Be Fine.....I have Many Toro/Prolines 10yrs old...cut Thousands of Lawns & only replaced a Belt or 2....Owned Many Suzukis & Never Had Any Engine Issues...Thousands of Lawns...Each Cuts 15-20 Lawns per day/20-25 weeks...Many Years...They Last...Forever.

7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well my Toro is JUNK, but not homeowner junk.

Neither is the previously mentioned Snapper, so....

8. guystevenl

guystevenl LawnSite Member
    from PA

I work at a golf course part time and my boss got a few "homeowner" toro personal pace mowers, used em about 2 seasons so far. we have a bunch of 21's and I was impressed with their system. We've had some older honda commercials (which got too beat to death). The self propel on the personal paces was pretty smooth and turning them is kind of fun, than ones that stay a constant speed (with a trans engaged or disengaged). They bag well in the wet, Mulch ok when it's dry...dont remember which engine they have (prolly briggs 5.5 or something)..I'd like em to go a bit faster though. And for durability...We do little bagging and mowing with 21's there (prolly 10 hrs a week)..But No prob's yet for the first 2 years. But I prefer the older 2 cycle toro's side discharge myself (non self prop) can't make em like that anymore. I could prolly grind stumps with them ;) If I didn't know better.

9. mastercare

mastercare LawnSite Senior Member

Toro (4cycle) Super Recycler. It comes with or without the self-propelled. It's made from a super light-weight patented aluminum deck. The entire thing only weights 44 lbs. It'll cut through thick grass and mulch it all to nothing. I use mine for 2 back yards that I can't get my 48" into. No problems with thick grass, only when its really wet AND thick. Schedule that cut for later in the afternoon and you'll be fine. Because you push it, I think you can even cut a little faster, and it saves a lot of weight.

10. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Well there sure isnt any lawn companies using a push mower in my area. We have no flat, hard packed lawns to use one on. Its split 50/50 with Toro and Honda usage. And the Hondas are becoming more the norm .