1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

21" push mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by creative concepts, Apr 20, 2002.

1. creative concepts

creative concepts LawnSite Member

I did a search and actually read about 150 of 230 or so results and still need some input. I am currently looking to purchase a new 21" mower. I don't want to spend over $700 for it as I only have 2 yards that i would need to use it on and the other yards I can use the bigger equipment. I was looking at the JD jx65 (I believe this is the model or it could be the jx75) with the option of side or rear discharge and the mulching optionfor $495. Is this a good machine and is this a good price? I was using a honda 3 speed until my worker sent it down a cliff yesterday. How does the JD compare to the Hondas? Any suggestions on a quality 21" mower would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Nelson

Nelson LawnSite Senior Member

Toro personal pace :D
  3. KDJ

KDJ LawnSite Senior Member

I will agree with Nelson. That's a GREAT mower (low cost)
  4. AK Lawn

AK Lawn LawnSite Member

hondas are the only way to go, i have 5 commercials and love them, you could pick up a masters series for around $600
    AK LAwn
  5. TFL

TFL LawnSite Member

John Deere its the way tyo go. i have 3 jx's numerous hours still run great
  6. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

JD is the way to go...
    I have the jx75, but it was $700, not $495. Are you sure you're not talking about the ja60 or ja62? Those are listed at around $500.
  7. proline32

proline32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 98383

The toro personal pace is a very good mower for the money(about 545.00 on alamia.com) I've always used toro's but last week I purchased 2 new commercial lawnboys(made by toro) you get a lightweght mower, good commercial engine(6.5 hp 2 cycle) and a gallon gas tank to boot.
  8. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I have always used the bbc 2 cycle commercial self propelled toro's they will run you some more dollars (895 ) but last and are like tanks. dave g
  9. lamblawnscaping

lamblawnscaping LawnSite Member

i don't know about your personal paces nelson and kdj, but i have had to replace or repair the drive cable probably 7 times over the past two years, the blade cable twice, the wheels twice, and the engine dosen't run very strong any more.

if you are going to spend 500 on a 21 you might as well spend a grand and get a toro proline, or around 700 for a commercial lawn-boy.
  10. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

lawnboy's fuel capacity is always a plus in my book