21" roller kit

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Acute Cut, Apr 20, 2001.

1. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

I just got mine installed last night. I used it all day today.. HEAVY as heck. (I have an ariens if you are curious) It is very hard to turn and sometimes leaves divots. The unit also bounces into its "up" position sometimes. Over all the unit is a pain in the BUT to use.

On the other hand, it is leaving my lawns looking better than they ever have before. Give and take i guess. anyone else use em? Tips? Tricks? Gripes?

I have chains installed on my 52" exmark wb, but it doesnt even come close to this quality. I am going to manufacture one like the one i have for my 21". Sorry eric. hehe.

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Let me know how it works. I'm always looking for a better way to make my lawns look their best. ;)

3. racerdave

racerdave LawnSite Senior Member

Acute, I'm looking to build one myself. Do you have any pix of your rig? :)

4. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

no. But let me work on it. I have to waste a half roll of film anyways. I get the pics for ya.

5. greens1

greens1 LawnSite Senior Member

I am in the process of building one myself. I am going to segment the roller into at least 3 sections, using a center spindle to join them. That should alliviate the problem with turning and divots, the roller inside the turn will not be required to spin at the same speed as the roller outside the turn. The Jacobsen walk behind greens mowers I used, when I was still at the golf course, had segmented drums for this purpose. As for the roller weight and jumping I am going with a polymer roller and a spring assist to apply downward pressure on the roller. This will allow me to adjust the pressure appied to the turf, reduce weight and eliminate bouncing by the roller. I will post some pic's when I am finished.
    Good Luck,
    Jim L

6. racerdave

greens1, I was thinking of setting my roller up in such a way that I can raise for it turn-arounds. I still think you're idea is a good one and I will employ it also. But what do you think about lifting it for turnarounds.
    David

7. greens1

Hi racerdave,

Picking up the roller every time would be difficult to impliment, in a practical sense. If the roller were front mounted then it would be fairly easy, however it would not assist in smoothing out tiremarks and since you are rolling the turf prior to the blade disturbing it you would not get the same degree of striping effect.

My 21" mower has castors on the front so I don't pick up when turning. If a practical solution occures to me I will let you know, or if you come up with one please post it.

Good Luck,
    Jim L

8. racerdave

Greens1, I had forgotten to tell you that I was wanting to put the roller behind the drive wheels. I don't think the tail wheel will show up on the strip do you? Anyway, what do you think about putting a radius (1 1/2") on the end of the outside rollers. I think that may eliminate the divot problem.
    anyway Have a great weekend
    David

9. greens1

Placing the roller behind the drive wheel makes the most sense, and in that location it should smooth out any marks left by the wheels. I am not certain that in that location there is a practical way to lift the roller every time you turn, or that you need to. I would stick with segmenting the roller, this will allow the roller sections to turn at different speeds while turning. Tapering the roller is a good idea, as long as you begin the taper at the outside of the rear wheels.
    Good Luck &
    Have a great weekend,
    Jim L