21"s finally took a dump on me....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RedWingsDet, Jun 20, 2004.

1. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

well, my 2 21's took a dump on me, but i knew it was going to happen, just a matter of time.

its only minor things and can be repaired. but i think i want to just get 1 good commercial mower that is a 21" and then use that and my honda.

so what im asking is, i try to mulch, but when grass is wet i bag, and i have to bag about 5 lawns out of 40. so its not that many to bag.... so what is a good 21" that will last a while? another honda? the honda i have now is from 79" and still runs GREAT, i love it. what else is out there and good for commerical use?

2. toro proline with two cycle motor ...best mulching 21 period .....turn the rpm's up to 3700 with the blades spinning under no load and it cut excellent ...bags well to.....i got one im still useing on my home lawn ..had it sincev 1989.

3. RedWingsDet

from Detroit

can you turn rpms up on any mower? and if so, how? i would like to turn em up on my 48. but thanks for the advise ill check it out on tuesday when i go to the dealer.

4. Grass_Nerd

Grass_Nerd LawnSite Member

I have 2 cubs also... I'm looking at getting a Deere jx75. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't get the cubs again. Too many little problems.

5. RedWingsDet

from Detroit

grassnerd! i hate the bags on the cubs, serisouly what were they thinking! but yeah, most of my problems are little, but im just sooo sick of it, i cant stand it, and the bag is killing me, i dont know what they were thinking.

but hopefully ill have a new 21" or two by this week.

6. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe commercial snapper? My old non commercial one lasted really well, If you go commercial they come with a Honda motor or a Kawi like my new one. I like the snappers because it's ground speed is really fast.

7. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

I agree with odin. The ProLine 21" is rock-solid. I have heard some people complain about their bagging abilities, but I've never had any problem.

I too would like to know the procedure for turning up the RPMS.

8. rick and premier ..i let my dealer do it ..the air cleaner houseing has to be taken off ..its a little more complicated then the kawasaki motors i do them myself .,....and dont let the dealer bullshit that it shouldnt be over 3600 rpms ..that engine will handle up to 4500....mine is st at 3990 at no load whatsoever ....3700 with the blades turning ..i been haveing that setting on proline two cycle 's for years and years ...and one i still got aND ITS HUMMING ALONG SINCE 89

9. RedWingsDet

from Detroit

my 48 has a kawa, you said you do kawas yourself? so how do ya? thank ya!

10. under the air cleaner houseing is a plate like ..it has a couple 10 mm nuts ...loosen them and you slide the plale up to raise the rpms....i set mine at 3750 with the blades turning.