1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

21 self prop won't go backwards

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by trying 2b organic, Jun 18, 2004.

1. trying 2b organic

trying 2b organic LawnSite Senior Member

My 21 self propelled Husky. The wheels lock up when I pull it towards me. If i push it then pull it again it comes. Running a 21 is tough enough without this. I know it will be something really obvious to you guys. Im not handy, just want a leg up when I take it to the shop, its less than a yr old so may even be covered. ty.

2. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

There is a system of gears, rackets, and paws in the wheels. Dirt and grass get in these and jam them or damage them. The wheels will need to be taken apart checked and cleaned and any damaged parts replaced. At least yours did at one time have a free wheel reverse mode, I would say at least half of the S/P mowers on the market DO NOT have a free wheel reverse mode at all. I say you should take it to some one who knows Husky S/P mowers because some of these wheel rackets systems can be a bit tricky to work on. As to cost it is hard to say.

3. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

Also Husky had different Co. make their mowers. Could be their own, Ariens, EYP. So let me know which one it is.

4. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

You have to let go of the drive handle before you stop going forward so the gears unlatch. Only a inch or two but yes if you stop and than let go the wheels will still be locked in gear and will not go back. Because you say that if you push it and than pull it, it comes than I think it is working fine just need to let go of the bale sooner. Hope this works.

5. Nick17

Nick17 LawnSite Member

Yes, I have the auto-walk model, and I just let go of the self-propelled like 6in before I make a turn or whatever and wheels turn freely.

-Nick